Does anybody know of any tests for find out your ethnic origin?

Blond hair and blue eyes here, does that make me part of the master race ? :hihi:

Not necessarily. Some Jews who the Nazis killed had fair hair and blue eyes.

The Nazis established an "Aryan look" Shape of the head and nose, measurement of cheekbones plus other rubbish :hihi:

If you have dark hair you're probably descended from the Normans; if red or blonde, you likely have some Viking blood in you.

As someone said the Normans WERE Vikings - but not really descended (they's only lived in what became Normandy about 80 years) and unless you're part of the aristocracy its very unlikely you're descended from them. They never brought more than a few thousand - could be as little as a couple of thousand with them and they were the landowners who with a few additions from later enobled families are still our aristocracy today. Hence the expression the "Norman Yoke" which we've had to labour under ever since.

I'd say unless you are obviously non-white or know you're defiintely from another recent immigrant background if you live in Yorkshire (or England as a whole actually) there's a good chance your ethnicity is Anglo-Saxon/Viking (ie from Denmark/Norway/northern Germany/Holland) with maybe some Celtic (whatever Celtic actually means) in there as well. Possibly the Celtic become a more important part of the mix if you're from parts of the West Country or parts of Cumbria (or of obviously Irish/Welsh or Scottish descent).

Apart from the wave of immigration which starrted just after WW2 native Londoners, (those who consider themselves white) might find some interesting ethnic backgrounds in their family tree.

London was generally the main destination for people from many lands who came to live in London in centuries past

Was it this documentary?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3dc_1190562978

Bad picture quality here but still great TV. Gary Bushell is a Muppet. Some things will never change eh?

I've just sat and watched that, shame about the quality but it was very informative and funny watching the 'I'm 100% English' fanatics backtrack on their arguments, especial the silly woman who threatened legal action because she didn't like the facts:hihi:

Thanks for sharing the link.:)

That clip being just more pandering to the self-loathing chattering middle classes. It's not difficult to find some stupid people to film acting ridiculously and supposedly add grist to your argument - but really what's the point?

PS His musical taste might be appalling but Garry Bushell is one of the few non bien pensant people in the public eye who tell it like it is. But who in the eyes of the Guardian-reading media luvvies from North London commits the terrible faux pas of not being ashamed of England.

Archived