What would you do if you accidentally hit a small animal whilst driving?

The last animal I accidentally hit was a blackbird. I noticed in my rear view mirror it was thrashing about on the road so I did the only thing I could and reversed back over it.

Prior to that was a cat, It just ran out from in front of a parked car just a few feet in front of me.

I got out to see if I could help it but the rear of it was completely squashed and it was thrashing about on the floor. I reversed over it to put it out of its agony. I cried my eyes out. I then knocked on all the house doors nearby but couldn't find the owner (it had no ID on its collar). In the end, a friendly householder and myself put it in a bin bag and then in a bin. I felt awful for days.

Oh dear, forgive me if I'm wrong but I find your post very very disturbing. Im not trolling or having a go, you obviously felt it was for the best but the very notion that any sort of suffering deserves a swift fate delivered so brutally just chills me to the core.

I guess its the whole euthanasia thing, and I'm afraid to say you & I obviously have differing opinions. X

Depends what happens to it after you hit it. An unfortunate cat ran out in front of my Mk2 Cavalier many moons ago and never came out the back. It got itself wedged between the floorpan and exhaust and had to be removed (for free) by the local Kwik fit using a broom handle.

Oh dear, forgive me if I'm wrong but I find your post very very disturbing. Im not trolling or having a go, you obviously felt it was for the best but the very notion that any sort of suffering deserves a swift fate delivered so brutally just chills me to the core.

I guess its the whole euthanasia thing, and I'm afraid to say you & I obviously have differing opinions. X

I don't think anyone's ever happy with the notion of putting an animal out of its misery. Sometimes, we decide (and perhaps wrongly) that it's the best thing to do in the circumstances.

I managed to rescue a sparrow from the cat last week, but it had giblets hanging out and could not possibly have survived; I thought the best thing to do was to put an instant end to its pain. I certainly wasn't happy about my decision, but I still think it was justified.

Not myself, but the car in front of me, ran over a cat in Glossop a few weeks ago, after it also got hit by a car going in the opposite direction.

I slammed the brakes on and pulled over (whilst both cars that hit it carried on, and all the other cars drove round me giving me dirty looks) and looking back the cat was thrashing around in the road so I went to see if it was okay, but it got up and scarpered. Well, I say scarpered, its front legs weren't working at all so it kind of pushed itself away quite quickly with its front legs dragging along the floor.

It was absolutely traumatising but I just couldn't believe nobody stopped and were looking at me like I was stupid to actually want to see if the cat was ok. Bird, Squirrel or something small i'd probably not stop for but anything that could be somebody's pet - well you can't just leave it can you.

Yeah ... guess I should've just left the cat thrashing in the middle of the road with its back end squashed and its entrails dragging all over the place. :loopy:

Archived