What's Swanage like? Places to visit in Dorset?

Spending a few days on the Jurassic Coast, and thinking of spending a few hours in Swanage before our apartment becomes available.

Never been before, so can anybody recommend it or give tips on where to park and what to do?

Or any other recommendations of places to visit in Dorset?

Already visited Bournemouth and Poole numerous times, as well as Lyme Regis, West Bay, Dorchester, Weymouth, Durdle Door* and Lulworth Cove. So just thinking Swanage and Corfe Castle remain to be ticked off, but happy to be told otherwise.

TIA

* I think the walk up from Durdle Door to the car park might actually kill me!

We loved our day at Monkey World, but we enjoy the programme so were interested in the whole project, if you go make sure your get there in the morning to hear the gibbons morning cries, it is the most wonderful haunting sound. There is also the New Forest which is a beautiful area.

Monkey World is fantastic, I thought it would be loads of scabby monkeys but it isn't at all. :)

I know you said you have visited Lulworth, but have you visited Lulworth Castle? It won't take ages to get round because the majority is just a shell due to a huge fire, but the cellars are still in place and there is a lot of nice land to walk around, alongside a little wooded area with peacocks and the likes.

Oh and as for Durdle Door - I had 70 year olds overtaking me whilst I sat half way up inhaler in mouth and head between knees - i'll not be doing it again in a hurry!:hihi: Worth it once you get there though.

If you want a nice meal there is a lovely pub in Osmington, about 10 minutes outside of Weymouth called the Smugglers Inn. I think it may be a chain, but the food is superb and the atmosphere second to none.

my aunty lives in swanage...so perhaps you could bob in and see her for me! ;)

jokes aside, is the steam railway still active at swanage?

if you have young children, what about a trip on the ferry across to sandbanks?

i can get some recommedations for things off the beaten track if it will help :)

i havent been to that bit of the country since my grandma passed away several years ago so im a bit rusty.

x

Spending a few days on the Jurassic Coast, and thinking of spending a few hours in Swanage before our apartment becomes available.

Never been before, so can anybody recommend it or give tips on where to park and what to do?

Or any other recommendations of places to visit in Dorset?

Already visited Bournemouth and Poole numerous times, as well as Lyme Regis, West Bay, Dorchester, Weymouth, Durdle Door* and Lulworth Cove. So just thinking Swanage and Corfe Castle remain to be ticked off, but happy to be told otherwise.

TIA

* I think the walk up from Durdle Door to the car park might actually kill me!

The Tank Museum at Bovington might be worth a visit, and the nearby connections to Lawrence of Arabia. Netherbury is interesting, it is where River Cottage was filmed.

Hope this helps.

Discovered Swanage on our recent visit and I was really impressed, I liked it very much, sort of old fashioned sea sidey, some nice shops and not too much tat. If you are down there over a weekend its worth going to lulworth cove and setting off on the track on the left towards the fossil woodland, its on army land so they only open it up at weekends. A bit of a climb but fab views. Corfe castle is wow..

Archived