Pushchair safety on buses

After witnessing a pushchair going over on the bus yesterday (with baby inside) it got me thinking.

There are guidelines on the buses for wheelchair users as to how to position the chair safely, but there are not any for pushchairs. Surely then, the bus company would be liable for carrying these pushchairs without any safety notices?

Apart from anything the pushchair was badly parked and weighted wrong, but surely there should besomethingon thebus or they not be carried at all unfolded?

Short of banning pushchairs on buses, it is the passenger that must be responsible, not the bus company. If the bus company was found to be negligent it would put into doubt whether they would continue to carry pushchairs on any of their vehicles?

On Stagecoach in Torquay there is a maximum of two pushchairs allowed on their buses at any one time and the must be anchored into designated buggy areas. Seems an initiative could be taken from Stagecoach in Devon?

I think the compulsory wearing of seat belts on public transport isn't far off. The practice of allowing people to stand on buses and trains whilst the vehicle is moving is not acceptable anyway.

Who exactly would enforce this? The Driver? I think he has enough on his plate.

Never going to happen.

Archived