Pushchair safety on buses

i totaly agree some have them and some don't as i found out the other day, and where do you epect me to put my newborn baby while i fold my pram, on the floor? becausenpeople don't offer to help they just stand and stare at you!!

I had a right job on when my lo was newborn, I had a lay down pram and had to take the lining out and detach the hood before I could fold it down. Even more of a job when I had the raincover on! :hihi:

To be honest when travelling by public transport during busy times you are probably better of with a sling :)

i'm surprised that no one has looked at the design of buggies to make them better for buses and easyto fold down...

They are easy to fold down though, well most of them are.

Its the problem of getting the child onto the bus, while its running free, and carrying shopping along with the pram as well as paying that bothers most people. Its not hard if you can keep your child under control. It is a little more difficult when getting off though, when your child wants to run out into the road. Much easier if there are 2 of you.

Iv fitted both my buggy and my double puschair into the space when folded. Iv also struggled with a newborn and a eighteen month old when there has been no space and iv had to fold the pram. Not ideal when out on your own but still manageable. People have always helped out when iv asked.

Just re read this and want to say I'm not meaning to be nasty, but you can't stop doing your day to day activities because you have small children and no private transport.

Im quite prepared to fold my pram down and did do yesterday. Im also quite prepared to wait for the next bus and have done on many occasions. I also know what weight can be loaded on and under my pram safely and I position it safely on most occasions.

I say on most occasions as the only times I have been unable too are when the bus driver has allowed me to board when their are already the max prams on or when the spaces have been taken up by people who need them.

I could moan about those shopping trolly bags that people take on board blocking the aisle but I don't.

At the end of the day the spaces are there for wheelchairs primarily and puschairs just get over it. If the people who are whinging don't like it then you walk!!!

I agree people should position them safely but I really feel this thread was started by a poster who has many bus gripes about puschairs etc.

A few years ago, I saw an old man trip over a pram wheel, which was sticking out in the aisle of the bus and he landed right on top of the baby in the pram. After reading this thread, I'm glad that I never had to use public transport when my son was a baby.

Why is it necessary for the bus company (in this case) to remind the people using its premises/facilities that they are responsible for any unsafe action they do.

You have already stated that the push chair was badly parked and was "weighted wrong" I presume you mean by this the centre of gravity of the said pushchair was changed due to incorrect loading.

Therefore it appears that this was done by the adult user of the chair who had failed to use due diligence in its use.

By been badly parked do you mean its blocking a gangway ?

If so there are notices on all "One Man " buses to the affect that the gangway should be kept clear.

Why doesn't any one accept responsibility for there actions any more, why is it necessary for the push chair manufacturer or the bus company to have to give precise instruction sons on how to use them.

It is only in the last 15 years or so that unfolded pushchairs could be taken on buses at all.

Every body had to fold them before this , which they did without any moans , not they cant even load the chair correctly or park it right.

End Of Moan

no, was started by someone genuinely concerned to see a toddler being thrown to the floor head first..

Apologies if thats the case.

How did they end up going head first? surely they would have tipped backwards?

How was the buggy positioned?

Parent facing buggies are usually extremley sturdy too and shopping can't be loaded on most of those types as they don't have seperate handles.

Archived