Anyone been caught speeding - new bit of M1 with Gantry cameras?

Stop it now, it's not a bickering thread, I just want to know if anyone has ever been done by any if these devices :-)

If you're referring to the newly-built four lane section between 28 and .. I think 25 ... then, so far as I'm aware, they are only operative when variable speed limits are in force. And, no, I have not been caught by them. With cruise control, I never get caught exceeding the speed limit because I never exceed it.

Stop it now, it's not a bickering thread, I just want to know if anyone has ever been done by any if these devices :-)

Basically you're asking if their active or not. Yes they are. Or are you asking for further details?

Not sure if they are active unless turned on to show a reduced speed limit (from the normal 70mph for cars light vans etc. etc.)

I did wonder if they only worked when speed restrictions are in place, as far as I was aware they were never going to use speed cameras on the normal motorway but things change.

I did wonder if they only worked when speed restrictions are in place, as far as I was aware they were never going to use speed cameras on the normal motorway but things change.

I see no reason why average-speed cameras should not eventually be in constant use across the entire motorway network. They're fairly cheap to install and they could wipe out almost all cases of speeding - unlike now, where people who know when and where the cameras operate, can break the speed limit everywhere except at those places and times. When there are NO places and times they don't operate, people will have to keep to the speed limit always.

We can then move on to arguing about what the speed limit should actually be, instead of having people trying to justify breaking it.

If you're referring to the newly-built four lane section between 28 and .. I think 25 ... then, so far as I'm aware, they are only operative when variable speed limits are in force. And, no, I have not been caught by them. With cruise control, I never get caught exceeding the speed limit because I never exceed it.

Ooh, you fibber :D

Neeeek. The cameras are there to support the variable speed limit, I have been led to believe.

Archived