Anyone been caught speeding - new bit of M1 with Gantry cameras?

Not at all. I was caught because I was driving a temporary replacement car and forgot that I did not have cruise control - so I wasn't bothering to keep an eye on my speed. :D

My own stupid fault. As it always is with anyone caught speeding.

Easy to do, I was caught on the A1 at Elkesley in the 50 limit which I have driven through on a regular basis since they were first installed in the 80's I think, just lapsed in my concentration. On the other hand that's all it would have taken to cause an accident and possibly kill someone.

Ooh, you fibber :D

Neeeek. The cameras are there to support the variable speed limit, I have been led to believe.

Found this on another forum, it appears that we can all continue to fly down the M1 at a safe speed as long as there are no variable speed restrictions in place at the time :)

I got a bit worried going through here myself at an unmentionable speed. Checked online and found this article from http://www.parliament.uk which is a transcript of parliment questions to relevant MPs, which I would take as a pretty positive indication these cameras are not activated to enforce National Speed limits:

22 Nov 2010 : Column 30W—continued

Speed Limits: Cameras

Mr Knight: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport pursuant to the answer of 5 July 2010, Official Report, column 11W, on M1: speed limits, whether fixed speed cameras will be used to detect offences of speeding over 70 miles per hour. [25203]

Mike Penning: Speed enforcement cameras to be installed as part of the controlled motorway system on the M1 motorway between junctions 25 and 28 are not being introduced to enforce the national speed limit.

When no restrictions are in place, the signals will not show any speed limits, and will therefore indicate that normal motorway regulations and enforcement regimes apply.

Mr Knight: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport pursuant to the answer of 5 July 2010, Official Report, column 20W, on speed limits: cameras, whether the fixed speed cameras are in operation between M1 junctions 6a to 10. [25204]

Mike Penning: The speed enforcement cameras on the M1 between junctions 6a to 10 are not currently in operation.

Based on the current timescales, they are expected to come into operation during March 2011.

Mr Knight: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport pursuant to the answer of 5 July 2010, Official Report, column 20W, on speed limits: cameras, whether fixed speed cameras will used to detect offences of speeding over 70 miles per hour. [25205]

Mike Penning: Fixed speed enforcement cameras will not be introduced to enforce the national speed limit, they will only enforce the use of mandatory variable speed limits used to manage traffic flows. When no restrictions are in place, the signals will not show any speed limits, and will therefore indicate that normal motorway regulations and enforcement regimes will apply.

Revenue collection cameras are what they are called hereabouts - we all don't live inside the Sheffield bubble - thank God.

Regards

Angels.

Since I am sat in Stratford currently I don't know what you mean.

Actually, if I was sat in Sheffield I still wouldn't understand the point you were trying to make.

Some kind of dementure maybe?.

Regards

Angel.

I don't know how we got here.

I was hoping you were going to explain your earnest throw-away comment, "we don't all live in a Sheffield bubble - thank God" or its relevance. *But all I get is another throw-away and pointless semi-insult carried out without use of a dictionary.

I give up now since, in a battle of wits, it's unfair to fight against the unarmed (pardon the paraphrasing, Oscar).

Revenue collection cameras are what they are called hereabouts - we all don't live inside the Sheffield bubble - thank God.

Regards

Angels.

What ARE you on about???? What Sheffield bubble?

As for revenue collecton cameras, surely you would be better calling them voluntary contribution mechanisms?

I understand they are point to point camera's on the gantry's as Gatso can only be used where there are roadworks on the motorways? Thats as I understand it, but I stand corrected if anyone has any other information

Archived