So we are living the future, and it offers?

Free market economics are predicated on ruthless competition, in which winners are supposed to take all the glory. This has led to a culture of self-promotion, bullishness, rudeness, sensationalism, and the idolisation of commodities, wealth, and glamor. This has spawned a narcissistic 24-hour celebrity culture, immoral financial products, needless continuous innovations and upgrades of everything from software to toothbrushes, and fetishised branded goods of every kind. The consumer base are first told they need these things, and then lose ability to function without them. Any desires will find a potentially profit-making outlet, and because profit is the highest ideal, there is little or no incentive to consider the ethics involved in creating these desires.

Such are the evils of consumerism. Who dare or may hold the free market to task for its ever-intensifying assault upon the sensory desires of human beings.

You're conflating free market economics (a philosophy that the UK doesn't follow) with consumerism (a state of mind).

I struggle to see how any innovation can be needless, if there is no need for it then it's not innovative by definition.

Any desires will find a potentially profit-making outlet

And this sentence I don't even understand.

The only way to survive this is to cut yourself off from the mainstream and don't buy into it.

However that's easier said than done. Basically it's what the 'alianated' rioters have done, they no longer see themselves as part of mainstream society where they are classed as 'Losers' and have instead developed their own culture which gives them a sense of belonging and has its own heirarchy enabling some to rise to the top gaining 'respect.'

You need a pretty thick skin these days not to be influenced by the media, public opinion etc, but I think more and more people will have to split from the mainstream (and give up on the rat race) to protect their own sanity. Those that fail to 'make it' will have to reset their values to appreciate what they have got, like leisure time even though they have little money to enjoy it.

Whether it be a North South divide, or rich and poor, we are becoming two nations living side by side in different countries.

You're conflating free market economics (a philosophy that the UK doesn't follow) with consumerism (a state of mind).

I struggle to see how any innovation can be needless, if there is no need for it then it's not innovative by definition.

And this sentence I don't even understand.

Consumerism is not a state of mind for the masses, it is forced upon them

Archived