Solar Panel Megathread

yes i would say so but try and pay for it yourself to be installed as companies that do it free take all the extra energy you have back themselves which tells you they are making money nobody does anything for free pay for the installation yourself and gain the profit for you and your family.good luck i know this as i work for an home improvement company not in this area but know how it works

it is an investment but it can take a long time to get your money back
Precisely!...............todays installations will also look archaic in a few years time as technology improves,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,don't do it!

It will become cheaper and 10 times more efficient in the near future.

A couple who live near to us have just paid £12,000 to have solar panels installed. It's going to take a good few years before they start to make any profit from them

You have to look into correctly, it is an investment yes and they reckon it will last 25 years and is guaranteed for 25 years so, so long as you are staying where you it is probably a good investment as you will probably get a better return than keeping it in the bank at the minute!!

You will get your money back in 2 ways

1) What you create and don't use is sold onto the National Grid not sure on current prices and what bck tracking the government is doing but great, but you sell it back at a greater cost than buying a KWh

2) You will buy less electricity from the grid so you will save overall

Like anything else make sure you investigate first and don't go with the first quote and I wouldn't go with a free system there will be that many clauses and they will be earning the £15k profit rather than you, so make your investment worth while!!

You actually get paid for whatever you create regardless of if you use it or not. So even if you use all the electricity you generate you still get paid for it. The tariff level that this is paid at is the highest it has ever been and will only go down in future years. Whatever you sign up for in the beginning will be the tariff you receive for 25 years including adjustment for inflation. The current feed in tariff is about 44p (ish!) The only back tracking that I am aware of is that the government decided not to make the FITs available (or as viable) for large commercial installations so above 50KWH. This was so that they got more domestic installations for people to benefit from rather than one or two massive commercial companies getting all the profit.

Just make sure whoever you look at has MSC certification and you get all your questions answered!

I am looking into this myself and just had a company round to look at my roof so I am all knowledged up!

You have to look into correctly, it is an investment yes and they reckon it will last 25 years and is guaranteed for 25 years so, so long as you are staying where you it is probably a good investment as you will probably get a better return than keeping it in the bank at the minute!!

You will get your money back in 2 ways

1) What you create and don't use is sold onto the National Grid not sure on current prices and what bck tracking the government is doing but great, but you sell it back at a greater cost than buying a KWh

2) You will buy less electricity from the grid so you will save overall

Like anything else make sure you investigate first and don't go with the first quote and I wouldn't go with a free system there will be that many clauses and they will be earning the £15k profit rather than you, so make your investment worth while!!

I can strongly recommend a company called TDFM Solar, they were a very approachable company through Daniel who is one of the MD's, who I got my info from, from a business meeting. A very natural and organised company who will give you just honest and genuine advice and they use good materials as well. They are MSC certified and one was of the first companies to acheive this in sheffield I think as well.

But as with anyhting you buy spend your money wisely

if your house is facing the right way you can have them fitted for free, someone called "a shade greener" they give you free eletric in summer from 10am til 4pm and in winter 11am til 2pm.

no offence but thats a very simplistic answer thats not 100% right.

you should get much longer out of a well sited panel, and ASG dont always give free panels to everyone with a south facing roof lol