Solar Panel Megathread

Voltage Optimisation is the way forward, the VX1 VPHASE UNIT can cut upto 10% off your electricity bill)

VPhase is the smart new way to cut your energy costs immediately without changing your supplier or your lifestyle.

By reducing and managing the voltage coming into your home, a VPhase device will ensure many of your electrical appliances use less electricity and cost less to run. It will also lower your carbon emissions.

The UK electricity distribution network operates at a nominal 230V, although in practice average voltages are more likely to range between 240V and 245V. The VPhase unit manages voltage to a stable level, normally 220V in the UK, regardless of the incoming supply voltage.

The amount of energy saved is device specific, for example: testing by VPhase on fridges and freezers shows 17%, 15% on normal light bulbs and 10% on energy saving light bulbs. One digital cordless phone showed an extraordinary saving of 44%. Savings will vary dependent incoming voltage and individual devices.

Further savings can be made on washing machines, tumble driers, dishwashers, televisions and numerous other electrical appliances across the whole house.

Typically, whole house savings are in the region of 10% - which means, household electricity bills will be around 10% less each year.

Unlike Smart Meters, which require a change in lifestyle, or solar and wind power that are focused on renewable energy production as opposed to preventing energy waste, VPhase Voltage Optimisation is a fit and forget solution that once installed will operate silently and unobtrusively, lowering and stabilising household voltage, saving money, reducing CO2 emissions and preventing energy waste.

Technical Energy Uk Ltd 01142 848221

I've just googled that unit and come up with the following forum...would you like to comment?

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/38518-vphase-vx1-unit.html

I've just googled that unit and come up with the following forum...would you like to comment?

The majority of appliances operate more efficiently at lower voltage (but still within the European statutory range). Voltage Optimisation is the control of voltage supplied to appliances to a set level (usually 220V). Presented below are example energy savings achieved in VPhase testing and based upon 245V to 220V voltage reduction.*

Appliances with motors and pumps

'A' rated freezer = 17% energy saving

'A' rated refrigerator = 16% energy saving

3 speed central heating pump = 15% to 18% energy saving

Lighting

CFL lighting = 11% energy saving

Incandescent bulb = 15% energy saving

Low voltage halogen spot lights = 15% energy saving

Consumer electronics

Results for consumer electronics vary widely, examples are given below:

DAB radio = 5% energy saving

DECT cordless phone base station = 30% energy saving

ADSL modem and wireless router = 5% energy saving

Personal Computer = 4% energy saving

Hi-Fi = 13% energy saving

Electric heating

Closed loop (thermostatically controlled) heating will make no energy savings through the application of voltage optimisation. Reducing the voltage applied to an ohmic heating element will reduce the heat output from that element and the power drawn by that element however the element will remain on longer to achieve the same heating effect (and therefore consume the same amount of energy).

Whole house saving

There are many variables to determine the overall energy savings, however savings of between £50 and £135 a year off electricity bills have been demonstrated. If this were achieved in every house within the UK this would be the equivalent CO2 reduction of taking 2.3 million cars off the road every year.

Hi I am glad i came across this thread because my wife and I are thinking of having solar panels fitted and it would be good to get some feedback from people that have had them fitted.

I understand there are two ways to have the installed:

1 you buy them and pay for the instuation then earn money from selling back the electricity

2 You let a company install them and they take all the money but you get cheaper elctricity

so what are you thoughts are you glad you had them fitted??

Hi I am glad i came across this thread because my wife and I are thinking of having solar panels fitted and it would be good to get some feedback from people that have had them fitted.

I understand there are two ways to have the installed:

1 you buy them and pay for the instuation then earn money from selling back the electricity

2 You let a company install them and they take all the money but you get cheaper electricity

so what are you thoughts are you glad you had them fitted??

Option 1. You pay for the panels and the install and you take all the electricity you generate, you can sell the surplus back to the grid and the government will also pay you around £900 per to have them on your roof.

Option 2. You rent your roof to an installer for 25 years and they install a solar system free of charge. They take the payments from the government and the surplus energy. You just get the electricity which you generate.

If you are interested in either options we would be happy to help. www.solar-roof-solutions.co.uk

Hey Jackmaster J.

What size system did you have installed? is it a "rent a roof" install?

I'm looking at this and had a salesman round who was a total idiot giving me the pressure sell. He offered a great "sign up today" price but if i didnt, the install increased by £900 for a much poorer system! What a joker.

However, had another sales guy round tuesday from a different business - an absolute gem from HomeEco. I may try get yours to quote me. Was it a good price?

Hey Jackmaster J.

What size system did you have installed? is it a "rent a roof" install?

I'm looking at this and had a salesman round who was a total idiot giving me the pressure sell. He offered a great "sign up today" price but if i didnt, the install increased by £900 for a much poorer system! What a joker.

However, had another sales guy round tuesday from a different business - an absolute gem from HomeEco. I may try get yours to quote me. Was it a good price?

Our system was a 4kwh, with 16 245w panels and a sunny boy inverter. The company do the free systems and it was an option for us, but we decided to go for the paid to get the FIT payments

PS. The price was the best out of 4 quotes we had