Solar Panel Megathread

I've had a free solar system now for some time and don't have a buyout clause in the lease that I signed and it doesn't bother me to be honest because I have no intention of buying them. I looked into another company that offers a buyout clause (Homesun) but the cost was ridiculously high, even thought it did reduce slightly year on year. It wasn't totally free either, they charged for maintenance and they also charged if you wanted the panels to be removed for renovation or loft conversion etc. So its swings and roundabouts. If I could have afforded to buy outright I would have.

What narks me are comments that make out that those who have opted for free solar haven't really thought about it and are always going on about the 25 year thing as if we've signed our life away "....ooohhhh it might put off buyers.." Well I thought about it long and hard and got advice from my solicitor and it didn't put me off, nor has it put off thousands of other people who have these free systems and as there was nobody else around who wanted to rent my roof at the time (nor is there likely to be) I thought it was worth it to get guaranteed free electricity for 25 years. With the agreement I've got with ASG I can have my loft converted, do renovations, have extensions built etc and they simply take the system off and replace it free of charge. It's not at all restrictive.

Solar thermal is a technology used to provide heat for homes.

works by installing solar panels (different to solar pv) on the roof of a property to gather energy from the sun. This energy is used to heat water which is then used to generate central heating and provide hot water.

Solar PV (photovoltaic) panels convert solar radiation into direct current electricity.

Solar thermal is a technology used to provide heat for homes.

works by installing solar panels (different to solar pv) on the roof of a property to gather energy from the sun. This energy is used to heat water which is then used to generate central heating and provide hot water.

Solar PV (photovoltaic) panels convert solar radiation into direct current electricity.

Would solar thermal make savings on the gas bill rather than the electric bill or both??............