Solar Panel Megathread

Company is a joke. Every day my conservatory which is south facing gets so hot from the sun I can't go in it much.. Yet they tell me my roof is not positioned right to pick up enough sun to power the panels.

Their "field team" are either incredibly stupid or don't exist!

Company is a joke. Every day my conservatory which is south facing gets so hot from the sun I can't go in it much.. Yet they tell me my roof is not positioned right to pick up enough sun to power the panels.

I thought they used google earth or something similar to make that decission.

"ashade greener. our roof was no good.have you seen the roof at gleadless ? its totaly full !!!!!"

They are big systems. You need to have about 24 square metres of available roof space. I believe we're having 18 panels but they will be on the back of the house so not visible from the road. The few houses above us won't see much though because of the trees at the top of our garden.

Anyhow, there are going to be more and more roofs covered in panels as time goes on so we'll all get used to seeing them. :)

Sorry you've had a bad experience Northrend. The company are very thorough with the positioning of a roof. Are you sure that your roof is south facing and also big enough?

Our first survey queried not only a weeping willow tree in our own garden but also the trees in next doors garden.

The lady dealing with our application wasn't convinced that the trees next door would be an issue so she arranged for another survey to be done. The second survey agreed that next doors trees wouldn't be a problem but agreed that our weeping willow might be during the winter months. Therefore they asked if they could come back and survey again mid-december.

We decided to fell the weeping willow (we had considered doing this anyhow because it was huge and casting heavy shadow over the garden) and once done the company came back and surveyed a third time and this time our roof was passed as suitable.

From my own very posative experience I have to disagree with you when you call the company "a joke" and their field team "incredibly stupid or non-existant".

At every stage this company have behaved in an extremely professional and polite way and I'm not just saying that because we have been accepted. Remember.......we have been borderline/refused ourselves. Once I notified them that we had felled our weeping willow they made arrangements to come and survey again. I'm sorry but I can't fault the service that we've received from them. They have responded to every e-mail/query with exceptional speed and we are very well aware of exactly what we are doing.

This company are absolutely up-front and transparent and have fielded no end of negative criticism (Martin Lewis's money saving expert forums) with total integrity.

Of course they are in it to make money......they are a business after all. At the same time they are doing us a favour which we can't fail to benefit from. We wouldn't even consider spending thousands on a system such as this because the chances of us still being alive in 25 years time are heading towards the slim side. :hihi: We will have long since sold up and downsized before then in any case so we will enjoy cheaper electricity bills NOW, while we can.

As far as we're concerned it's a win win situation and I don't care a jot that somebody else is claiming the "fit" because we wouldn't have been claiming it in the first place.

I'm also well aware that every single electricity user will be paying about £8.50p per year towards funding this scheme. I don't agree with that but it will happen regardless of whether we have solar panels or not.......and we will also be paying it as well. I was just as much against everybody who has a fixed telephone line having to pay 50p per year (?) towards enabling everybody to benefit from high speed broadband. Why should those that don't use t'net have to pay for those that do?

Northrend.........you could mail the company and tell them that your roof is south facing and also big enough. If thats the case they will happily have another look at it for you.

One of our neighbours was refused because his roof was too small. The google earth picture that they first look at was out of date and he had had an extension built since then. He notified the company of his recent extension and they came out and surveyed his roof. I don't know the outcome of his survey but I think that probably he was still refused because his roof is probably still too small to support 18 rather large panels. The point I'm making is that they were still willing to survey his roof because they are looking for ideal placed roof space and they aren't just being awkward.