Solar Panel Megathread

It utterly defies belief that anybody would dig into their pocket to buy them without realising that they would never pay back, even if they stay working for decades.

Still, some people give their bank details to bogus Nigerian princes on the internet, so I guess it should be expected.

We had ours fitted at the beginning of October and have made £130 in that time, with short days and murky cloudy weather. I'm guessing they'll make around £10 per day in the late spring/summer/early autumn time.

What makes you think they won't repay themselves?

We had ours fitted at the beginning of October and have made £130 in that time, with short days and murky cloudy weather. I'm guessing they'll make around £10 per day in the late spring/summer/early autumn time.

What makes you think they won't repay themselves?

How much did they cost to buy and fit?

About £15,000 of panels to make couple of hundred pounds worth of free electricity a year was never viable. I just hope the government see sense and cuts the existing tariffs because I don’t see why the tax payer should subsidise business profits or someone’s free electricity.

£9,000 to fit and - in *addition* to the free electricity (and subsequent lowering of bills) - 43p per unit generated, amounting to around £1000-£1500 per year. It was definitely viable. Maybe not so much now, but before, I assure you.

Oooh just answered that in my next rant. :)

Thanks.

Just wondering because i watched a programme not long ago about solar panels and hidden costs.

Some companies fit them on roofs that cannot withstand the weight,and the way they are fixed to the roof can be unsafe over time.

Also,don't they need parts replacing after so long?

And what are the implications if you want to sell up? Would it narrow down the market for potential buyers?