Solar Panel Megathread

Hi

I have recently had solar panels fitted to my roof and am keeping fit by running to the electricty meter cupboard constantly to see if I am using grid electricity or free solar electricity. Has anyone managed to fit a meter to show when they are pulling off the grid?

Thanks

Sue

I recently had solar panels installed and my instaler provided a gizmo called WATTSON. A clip around the cable between the generation meter and the inverter, and another clip on the cable coming from the main 'grid meter' and a small transmiter sends information to WATTSON in the house. I am able to see how much power I am using, how much I'm generating, the net difference and colored lights indicate usage also. Red for high usage down to pale blue for low, and best of all, bright green when we are generating more than we are using which I'm pleased to say is quite often.

WATTSON can be connected to your computer and links with its own software called HOLMES (get it? Wattson - Holmes) and this allows you to upload all the data relating to what you've used / generated and provides charts which keep me amused for ages.

WATTSON is not the only piece of kit available which does this sort of thing. I beleive there is one called 'Sunnyboy' or something similar. Apparently some work better with certain inverters than others, so ask advice regarding yours. Our inverter is a Fronius and our panels are Sanyo. In case you don't know, the inverter is the big box which converts the Direct Current (DC) from the panels on the roof, to Alternating Current (AC) which our homes use.

Hope this is of some help. You do not need to have a smart meter installed.

Maplin do a electric meter reader, comes with a wireless collar you put around the electric meter. Think they are about £40 - £50 quid. Come on offer though so worth keeping a eye out for that. The technology will improve in future and its only natural that the material costs will come down as sale volumes go up. Its a tricky one, do you wait until it becomes cheaper and the feed in tarrif has dropped, or do you strike while the iron is hot so to speak. There are many options available.

• 3 weeks later...

We had our installation done by TDFM Solar, who were fab. Dan was the first chap I spoke to who seemed as honest and as genuine as they come, not the pushy salesman type. They then left me with the quote and didnt hassle. I couldnt get anywhere near it from the other companys so choose them. The team that installed it were quick and professional and worked dam hard on the sleeting day that they had agreed. They deserved a medal and its a quality professional job.

With our install we had the invertor put next to the meter in the cupboard under the stairs and through what they've installed you can see at a glance whether your drawing or producing electricity. So Im not sure what these other companys are leaving people with, but it sounds as though weve got even more of a quality job on our install!

Beat the Deadline - 1st April 2012

The Government has announced plans to change the Solar PV Feed-in Tariff (FIT) and installation criteria. A notable change, effective from 1st April 2012, is that homeowners considering Solar Panels must ensure that their properties meet an Energy Performance Certification (EPC) rating of at least 'D'.

The Department of Energy and Climate Change estimate that 50% of properties will not currently meet the minimum EPC rating of at least 'D'. Therefore, customers could be looking at expensive property upgrades just to meet the EPC criteria for Solar Panels installed from 1st April 2012.

If you do want either Free or paid for solar pv, we would suggest acting sooner rather than later.