Solar Panel Megathread

Now it's been approx 2,3 years since people have been having solar panels fitted.

Are they really saving you money and are they generating as promised.

Are they working today? With the snow

Now im not just saying this because we fit them. Ive had a 2kw south facing system for over 18 months now, and based on the predicted generation, and the actual generation, I have produced more kWh than calculated. in terms of electricity savings, I have saved about a third off my bill.

Prices are falling, and are set to fall further with the coming Green deal scheme. You can get a 4kW system now for under £5000 (18 months ago the same system would cost between £11000 to £15000.

Hi, we are thinking of having solar panels and would like info from anyone who has had them fitted, were taking about 6 or 8 until an engineer has been we dont know which. I want to know the pros or cons please, are they worth it? there is a 25 year guarantee but we wont be alive then! will the house sell with them on? we are SW facing

If its your home the agreement is they have your roof space for 25 years. You benefit from the free electric during the day (if the sun shines that is) when it goes dusk the supplier sells the surplus back to the electricity agent. The downfall is you don't see the profit BUT if you bought the panels you would reap both the rewards. Should you sell your property you can either take the panels with you should the new vendor not want them! Leave the panels on the roof so the new vendor can enjoy the free electric during the day and you sell to the electric company the surplus or thirdly come to an agreement with the vendor to buy the solar panels off you and they take over the contract. Simple as that!

We had ours installed March 2012 just before the rates dropped. We too are SW facing.

We bought the panels at a cost of £9100 , it's a 3.84kwh system.

In the last 9 months we've had a feed in tariff payment of £788.79, £608.18 & £185.18 making £1582.15 over 9 months, based on that alone it'll have paid for itself over approx 6 years. Over that time though, my electricity bill has reduced considerably so i'm expecting it to pay for itself over 3.5 - 4 years which means i'll have some free electrictity for as long as the panels last and for about 21 years, I should have a monetary income in excess of £1k a year (over time the PV panels detoriate on what they generate).

Since I had them installed the feed in tariff payments have dropped considerably(for new installs, I still get the higher unit rates) so this would need to be taken into account. As I said at the start of the post, I too am SW facing and in 9 months generated 3384 units on a 3.84 kwh system.

Hope that helps.

Edited by martynh99

there are also products coming onto the market to make the most of the available solar power instead of losing out by feeding in at a lower tariff then paying for units when you're using more than you're generating - such as a water heater which only heats when there is free electricity to use

If you're savvy you won't do things like running a tumble dryer whilst the washing machine is heating water, or boiling the kettle when the toaster is on