Solar Panel Megathread

Its my understand the battery technology is already there, as the biggest problem today is size and that is far less of a problem for grid use as there is usually a decent amount of free space near power substations.

It would also be a pig to monitor/maintain. As how you ramp up the power stations would be related to the charge in the batteries. Does your local battery have enough to handle the load of everyone putting the kettle on during the commercial break? If yes, no need to ramp up yet, if no then they would.

I guess that is why for now, they are focusing on the idea of energy storage at the power stations.

The sad fact is, its still more profitable to burn fossil fuels. The only way I can see that changing is if the government encourage investment in energy storage, but they seem to be doing the complete opposite.

Its my understand the battery technology is already there, as the biggest problem today is size and that is far less of a problem for grid use as there is usually a decent amount of free space near power substations.

It would also be a pig to monitor/maintain. As how you ramp up the power stations would be related to the charge in the batteries. Does your local battery have enough to handle the load of everyone putting the kettle on during the commercial break? If yes, no need to ramp up yet, if no then they would.

I guess that is why for now, they are focusing on the idea of energy storage at the power stations.

The sad fact is, its still more profitable to burn fossil fuels. The only way I can see that changing is if the government encourage investment in energy storage, but they seem to be doing the complete opposite.

Storage is very expensive despite recent progress. We need to be patient.

You know what else is available now. Gas. Far cleaner than diesel in every sense. Nuclear too if you persist in this CO2 religion.

Companies and public bodies are allowed to use what ever means they see fit, they probably use the cheapest option.

Companies and public bodies are allowed to use what ever means they see fit, they probably use the cheapest option.

The cheapest option would be to burn gas and/or uranium in large, highly efficient power stations. That's actually the greenest option. But this combination of diesel, "on demand" power stations, wind farms and solar panels creates the illusion of being green so that's what happens.

I think STOR is hilarious. The intermittency problem of renewable energy, on top of all it's other flaws, is going to lead to vast amounts of pollution across the country from inefficient and dirty diesel generators. You couldn't make it up.

The problem is our energy market, it needs to be more flexible, I would blame the politicians if we have blackouts, not renewable power.

The problem is our energy market, it needs to be more flexible, I would blame the politicians if we have blackouts, not renewable power.

The energy market has been regulated into an almighty mess in the name of environmentalism. I suppose that's the fault of the politicians, but then who chooses them?

Did you choose David Cameron, the greenest Government, ever :hihi:

The thing you're missing is that natural gas is actually greener. No toxins, maximum efficiency. A combination of gas for peaking and on demand, and nuclear for base load is actually by far the greenest option available. It's also affordable.

The only real problem with gas that is that a lot of it comes from Russia. Hence the Fracking.

Despite all their solar panels and other nonsense, the Germans in reality burn vast amounts of dirty coal. They went all anti-nuclear in a panic after Fukushima.

Being green should be about practical solutions to real problems. Sticking up windmills and solar cells is pointless fake greenery for political exploitation of those who refuse to learn or accept the realities.

I think every new build property be it a factory/housing should incorporate solar panels fitted when built. imagine all these roofs up and down the country generating electricity, surely its got to take some of the consumption away from the power stations so at peak times this wouldn't be so big a challenge. I cant see from this link that its a waste of time http://www.renewables-map.co.uk/Solar.asp

I think every new build property be it a factory/housing should incorporate solar panels fitted when built. imagine all these roofs up and down the country generating electricity, surely its got to take some of the consumption away from the power stations so at peak times this wouldn't be so big a challenge. I cant see from this link that its a waste of time http://www.renewables-map.co.uk/Solar.asp

It's a huge waste of money.

It creates good green feelings without actually helping to address environmental issues.