Solar Panel Megathread

More wind energy is generated in winter, solar will be reduced by between 60-70%, but solar only accounts for 1.2% of the renewable energy.

Except when we get a high pressure cold spell. When electrical demand is actually the highest, we have still air and no sunlight.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:31 ----------

well, not exactly.

Right now i'm using;

2pc's,

a router,

1 tv,

1 stereo,

dishwasher,

alarm clock,

ch boiler,

charging a phone,a battery and a ds,

my house alarm, cooker and powerline are also drawing elec.

I've used the washing machine, kettle, toaster so far as well.

I might use the hoover later or the garden strimmer depending if it stays sunny(ish)... :)

if I had solar panels some of that electricity would have been taken from them rather than the grid.

And 'this evening when it's dark they wouldn't', I'm not sure that's a good argument against the daytime use.

It's a good argument against subsidies that every consumer pays, whilst only a minority benefit and it does little to reduce our carbon footprint.

From a personal perspective solar might make sense, but from a societal one the subsidies do not.

Except when we get a high pressure cold spell. When electrical demand is actually the highest, we have still air and no sunlight.

I guess we'll all need our own diesel generators. At least those who can afford them. Also gas masks to deal with the toxic air which results.

It is not what I want, it is what is available now. Theses companies have not got their own generating capacity because of solar power, they have had it for years, and it may become more common place.

So it's not an argument to subsidise solar or to justify solar then.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:34 ----------

I think every new build property be it a factory/housing should incorporate solar panels fitted when built. imagine all these roofs up and down the country generating electricity, surely its got to take some of the consumption away from the power stations so at peak times this wouldn't be so big a challenge. I cant see from this link that its a waste of time http://www.renewables-map.co.uk/Solar.asp

Peak consumption does not occur in line with peak production of solar.

Having solar is good for the household, not for the grid or society.

It's a huge waste of money.

It creates good green feelings without actually helping to address environmental issues.

says you but then again who are you :suspect::hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:42 ----------

Having solar is good for the household, not for the grid or society.

explain this to me then cyclone

http://www.lightsource-re.co.uk/news/ or are they wasting their time too ?

I guess we'll all need our own diesel generators. At least those who can afford them. Also gas masks to deal with the toxic air which results.

Mine is parked in the drive; its a pity they cannot be geared up to generate electricity, as well as taking us to work.

Mine is parked in the drive; its a pity they cannot be geared up to generate electricity, as well as taking us to work.

They're not powerful enough. Unless you own a truck.

You're still going to need that gas mask. And probably a second job to pay for the extra diesel.

says you but then again who are you :suspect::hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:42 ----------

explain this to me then cyclone

http://www.lightsource-re.co.uk/news/ or are they wasting their time too ?

Explain what to you? Solar powered racing? What has that got to do with using solar power for household supply?

Do you think they'll race at nighttime? When it's a solar powered Le Mans 24hr, ask me again.

I take it you didn't read the article then :roll::roll::roll:

You've linked to the entire site, there is a list of articles there. :roll::roll::roll:

Perhaps if you can manage to link to a single article, there's a chance I'll read it. :roll::roll:

You do realise that this is a commercial website trying to sell a companies products right? It's not science or independent in any way.

I take it you didn't read the article then :roll::roll::roll:

This is all playing games with isolate novelty uses of solar panels.

What do you propose we do for electricity on a still winter evening?

Do you favour El Cid's diesel generators, or would you prefer to send people around the next day to collect up the dead poor and elderly people?

The green folk do often say that the big problem is over-population. Perhaps randomly freezing people to death is their solution.