Solar Panel Megathread

I now have eight solar panels on my roof. There is a digital display in the loft, which, three days ago gave a reading of 00038.4 kwh.

Today the reading is 00048.1kwh

So that means its generated 9.7kwh in three days. Any one else got solar panels? What would this power?

A traditional (incandescent) light bulb might draw 60 watts, so it would run 1 lightbulb for 161 hours.

Your kettle might draw 2kw, so it would run that for about 4.75 hrs.

A PC probably draws 500 watts so you could run that for 18 hrs.

---------- Post added 20-10-2015 at 12:12 ----------

At this time of day there is an electricity surplus. Your electricity has most likely been binned. It is valueless.

Is there really? Despite industry using power, which mostly happens during the working day.

A traditional (incandescent) light bulb might draw 60 watts, so it would run 1 lightbulb for 161 hours.

The average PC draws less than half that much. A 500W power supply may be installed, but it won't use anything like that much most of the time.

We're not allowed incandescent light bulbs, but there are a fair few 40-50W halogens still in circulation. For now.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but for the love of god don't forget storage. You can't use that electricity for anything unless it's needed right at the moment it's generated.

---------- Post added 20-10-2015 at 12:17 ----------

Is there really? Despite industry using power, which mostly happens during the working day.

Yes. Demand right now is 38GW. Down from a peak of almost 50GW last evening. Total capacity is a little under 60GW.

Most of the energy intensive industry: steel etc, has moved out of the UK due to high energy prices.

The average PC draws less than half that much. A 500W power supply may be installed, but it won't use anything like that much most of the time.

I know mine draws close to that, with an 80+ 800w PSU installed.

If you include the multiple monitors that are on (which have their own PSUs).

We're not allowed incandescent light bulbs, but there are a fair few 40-50W halogens still in circulation. For now.

Doesn't really matter, it was just an explanation, I didn't suggest he go out and buy one.

Yes. Demand right now is 38GW. Down from a peak of almost 50GW last evening. Total capacity is a little under 60GW.

Most of the energy intensive industry: steel etc, has moved out of the UK due to high energy prices.

How much of that capacity is rapid switching? If they can turn off a gas powered generator because people are putting solar back into the grid, then it isn't wasted.

I know mine draws close to that, with an 80+ 800w PSU installed.

If you include the multiple monitors that are on (which have their own PSUs).

Doesn't really matter, it was just an explanation, I didn't suggest he go out and buy one.

How much of that capacity is rapid switching? If they can turn off a gas powered generator because people are putting solar back into the grid, then it isn't wasted.

We have an increasing amount of "rapid switching" capacity which is expensive, inefficient and only necessary because of intermittent renewables. It's still a waste of money and fuel.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but for the love of god don't forget storage. You can't use that electricity for anything unless it's needed right at the moment it's generated.

I dont need to store it, I have mains power too ;)

Thanks, that is more helpful than the anti, anything to do with climate change spiel.

But what I need to work out, is how much power they are producing per hour.

So if I have the PC and radio on, is there still power left for the washer and kettle on a sunny and cloudy day.

Thanks, that is more helpful than the anti, anything to do with climate change spiel.

But what I need to work out, is how much power they are producing per hour.

So if I have the PC and radio on, is there still power left for the washer and kettle on a sunny and cloudy day.

That can't be definitively determined from an average.