Small diesel car advice

I am tempted to search for a small diesel car. the ones most tempting to date are Ford Fiesta (or Fusion) 1.4, or Vauxhall Corsa 1.3. I want a 5 door.

I am obviously searching for a good mpg (it is mostly for City use), and minimum road tax.

I am budgetting for a car 2001-2004 and expecting to pay £1500-£2500.

Your own advice / experiences would be gratefully received.:)

I am tempted to search for a small diesel car. the ones most tempting to date are Ford Fiesta (or Fusion) 1.4, or Vauxhall Corsa 1.3. I want a 5 door.

I am obviously searching for a good mpg (it is mostly for City use), and minimum road tax.

I am budgetting for a car 2001-2004 and expecting to pay £1500-£2500.

Your own advice / experiences would be gratefully received.:)

Be careful of the Ford 1.4 Diesel engine. Replacement injectors are not cheap or easy to fit.

I wouldn't recommend a diesel if most of your journeys are around town and are of short duration.

A small petrol will be nearly as efficient and you will be able to buy a newer model with lower mileage.

Diesels only make sense for 15k miles + per year.

Some suggestions below

Fezza

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201131407298918/sort/priceasc/usedcars/quantity-of-doors/5/fuel-type/petrol/price-to/3000/price-from/2000/transmission/manual/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/model/fiesta/make/ford/postcode/s24ap/radius/10/page/1?logcode=p

Fabia

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201130405760158/sort/priceasc/usedcars/transmission/manual/price-to/3000/quantity-of-doors/5/fuel-type/petrol/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/price-from/2000/model/fabia/make/skoda/page/1/radius/20/postcode/s24ap?logcode=p

Ibiza

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410117448/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/price-to/3000/price-from/2000/transmission/manual/fuel-type/petrol/quantity-of-doors/5/model/ibiza/make/seat/page/1/postcode/s24ap/radius/20?logcode=p

Corsa

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410207498/sort/priceasc/usedcars/quantity-of-doors/5/fuel-type/petrol/price-to/3000/price-from/2000/transmission/manual/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/model/corsa/make/vauxhall/page/1/postcode/s24ap/radius/20?logcode=p

Almera

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410207498/sort/priceasc/usedcars/quantity-of-doors/5/fuel-type/petrol/price-to/3000/price-from/2000/transmission/manual/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/model/corsa/make/vauxhall/page/1/postcode/s24ap/radius/20?logcode=p

I run a Suzuki with the 1.3 Fiat diesel engine (the same one as in the diesel corsa, I think, as well as the diesel Puntos and Pandas). I get around 50 to 55 mpg around town (driving fairly gently) and anywhere between 55 and 65 on the motorway, depending how I drive. (It needs a real economy drive to get 65, 60 mpg is much more typical).

I quite like the diesel engine, and I'm glad I got it - I do approx 20,000 miles per year. However, it is well worth doing the sums. Diesel cars are more expensive to buy (although that may not be the case in the age/price bracket you are looking at, I don't know), and often more expensive to insure when compared to the equivalent petrol model (mine certainly is). Also, they might need servicing more often. Again, that varies model to model, but worth checking. And of course petrol is a little cheaper than diesel. Added together, these may outweigh the better fuel consumption that a diesel offers, especially if your mileage is low. Diesels used to be based on commercial engines and were overengineered to last for years. I don't know if that is still the case, but I think it might not be - they are now built smaller and lighter to improve the car's performance, they might have lost the longevity they used to have.

Also, don't ignore the bigger diesels. Before my current car I had a couple of cars with the VAG 1.9 Turbo Diesel (a Golf and a Fabia). Both of these had fuel consumption figures easily as good as the car I have now - I think because the bigger, more powerful engine was less stressed. When I changed, I went for a car with a lower CO2 figure, and so lower annual "road tax". I don't think fuel consumption actually improved.

Provided you get below the "120" figure for CO2 emissions you make a big saving in comparison to above 120, which is worth having. Getting below 100is probably not worth the effort, unless you drive in London and want to avoid congestion charges.

Archived