Can't Britain just close and say we are full up?

Sorry - system crash. (Hence the slow reply)

I'm not so sure that we all do know what 'indigenous' means and given that there is no concise definition, it's a pretty vague term.

If you say indigenous means 'born here' then is a Chinese child (with Han parents who happened to be passing through the UK when the child was born) an indigenous Brit? - Of course not.

There was a colony of Romans - people who kept themselves separate from the population - living in London until the 9th century. Julius Caesar came to England in 55BC, so they had been here for a while.

Are they 'Indigenous Brits'? - If not, why not?

The Angles and the Saxons came later. They were immigrants. - Hardly 'Indigenous Brits'. - Or were they?

Consider two very different people:

1. Sir Trevor MacDonald. A gentleman of the dark-skinned persuasion. He probably wasn't born in the UK, but he does speak pretty good English, he has lived here for very many years and I - for one - have no problem in identifying him as 'a Brit'.

2. One of the pasty-skinned pudgy chavettes interviewed on TV last week during the riots. She was a Brit. Really? - I've been speaking English for more than 60 years, and I reckon I'm fairly fluent. I could understand about one out of every three words she said.

Is she an indigenous Brit?

If you want to use the term 'indigenous Brit' in an argument - and if the argument is to be taken seriously - then I suggest it would be a very good idea to define concisely the term 'indigenous Brit' before you start.

You did not do so.

Both are probably British nationals. I believe old Trev the star has British national status, the other, I don't even know who you're referring to... But just because they talk strangely to you doesn't actually indicate whether their a British national or not.

To me an indigenous Brit conforms to British law!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Nationality_Act_1981

If there was a referendum in this country to end immigration, yes or no, what do you think the majority answer would be.

I believe many would vote to stop it, but in reality it'd probably be to add stiff restrictions, just like many other countries do already.

Answer me one question: If there was a referendum in this country to end immigration, yes or no, what do you think the majority answer would be.

I'll answer yours if you answer mine. If 'ending immigration' meant that the UK had to accept (and support) all the Brits who have emigrated to other EU countries, how would you pay for that?

If 'ending immigration' meant that the UK had to accept (and support) all the Brits who have emigrated to other EU countries, how would you pay for that?

How does that compare?

In the case of those on pensions, we already do.

The rest will be paying their own way and I doubt will be claiming benefits...

I believe many would vote to stop it, but in reality it'd probably be to add stiff restrictions, just like many other countries do already.

I said a yes or no vote, not fudging around the edgings offering the rhetoric of "stiff restrictions" I mean stopping it altogether.

The answer would be a resounding YES, you can dress it up in all the rascist claims you want but it would still be a YES.

I said a yes or no vote, not fudging around the edgings offering the rhetoric of "stiff restrictions" I mean stopping it altogether.

The answer would be a resounding YES, you can dress it up in all the rascist claims you want but it would still be a YES.

But no government would ever enact such a strategy, we're no North Korea, because that's what your suggesting!

I'm not surprised you chose to take that path. Not even a little bit. If it's possible to derive another meaning, you're sure to find it.

I certainly was not saying that and you damn well know it!

If that isn't what you meant, then you were yourself being preposterous, since that is palpably what this thread has proved.

Archived