Can't Britain just close and say we are full up?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Where am I at the moment? In the Bavarian Alps. Here

Or where am I from originally? The Channel Islands. Came to the UK in 1968, lived there for 20 years. Went to the US in 88 for 3 years, came back to the UK in 91 stayed for another 12 years. Maintained a home in the UK, but worked in Belgium for a couple of years then in Germany for 3 years. Sold my house in the UK, moved to the US for a year, then back to Germany.

I pay UK income tax on my world-wide income and paid into the non-resident stamp scheme (to retain my pension eligibility.) I can also be liable to file tax returns in Germany, the US and the Channel Islands, but dual-taxation agreements and other tax treaties mean I don't have to pay twice.

I spend part of the year in Germany, part of the year in Florida and part of the year in the UK. From next year, I'll probably buy a house in the UK and spend more time there.

But not between the beginning of November and beginning of April! I've had enough of cold wet rainy winters (and I'd also be happy to pass on cold winters with 6 feet of snow too) thanks.

My bold

You might get a better understanding of 'Britain is full' then eh Rupert :thumbsup:

We have always been a nation of immigrants, right back to the Celts. The Romans, Angles, Saxon, Jutes, Vikings and Normans all invaded this country; none of them were indigenous to it.

Immigration has always continued, from escaping Huguenots to Dutchmen accompanying William of Orange, a trickle of Native Americans, slaves who escaped to shore ...

The only noticeable difference in the last fifty years is not the scale of people coming in, but the fact they were mostly black and Indian.

But wouldn't the majority of people have to be an immigrant for it to be claimed we're a nation of immigrants..

I wouldn't class invading forces as immigrants. I'm not sure if we could claim to be merely emigrating to other countries during our empire years..:hihi:

It would be a bit difficult to find any place which was not colonised by immigrants.

The 'native Americans' were tribes of the Athabascan sub-culture who crossed into North America by the land/ice bridge between Asia and what is now Alaska. They were immigrants, not indigenous people.

If humans began in Africa, then the humans who went to Australia (you don't hear much about how people migrated from Africa to Australia) must've been immigrants, too. Humans anywhere outside Africa would have been immigrants (at some time in their past) and unless the Africans were nailed to the floor, no doubt they migrated, too. Emigrated from one part and became immigrants in another.

Europe saw a movement of tribes from East to West. The Celts (those who survived) ended up jammed in Wales, Ireland, Cornwall and Brittany and were replaced by their erstwhile eastern neighbours, who in turn, were replaced by theirs.

They had already left never to return ,lying rotting in unmarked graves after they had given their lives to protect their country,the same country where the populace now seem to bend over backwards to deride their own country and people, and will not be content until it is handed over lock stock and barrel to people who failed in their own countries and instead of staying their to make their own countries better take the easy way out and come to a country which welcomes them with open arms and turns it over to them to do as they please.More mosques Vicar we have need of them urgently

If it's as bad as you say it is, perhaps you should leave.

The only noticeable difference in the last fifty years is not the scale of people coming in, but the fact they were mostly black and Indian.

Colour has nothing to do with it. The scale of people coming in over the last few years has been mainly White European, but no less noticable than Black or Indian migrants (or any other ethnic group).

If it's as bad as you say it is, perhaps you should leave.

Im English this is my country why should I leave ,just because other people may not have pride in their country of birth doesnt mean to say I dont,it wouldnt hurt a few on here to take after the people they rush to defend ,even though a lot of them have never seen their home country they never pull it down.

They had already left never to return ,lying rotting in unmarked graves after they had given their lives to protect their country,the same country where the populace now seem to bend over backwards to deride their own country and people, and will not be content until it is handed over lock stock and barrel to people who failed in their own countries and instead of staying their to make their own countries better take the easy way out and come to a country which welcomes them with open arms and turns it over to them to do as they please.More mosques Vicar we have need of them urgently

I think I agree with the sentiments of this post, but I'm not sure what's behind it. If it means we lost many good men in two world wars who gave their lives to save our county, then we have systematically allowed it to be over run by people of other nations, then I concur.

Regards

Angel.

I think I agree with the sentiments of this post, but I'm not sure what's behind it. If it means we lost many good men in two world wars who gave their lives to save our county, then we have systematically allowed it to be over run by people of other nations, then I concur.

Regards

Angel.

Exactly what it means although some will try to say the opposite.they died so that the country would be free ,to anyone who wants to walk in and claim it.

It would be a bit difficult to find any place which was not colonised by immigrants.

The 'native Americans' were tribes of the Athabascan sub-culture who crossed into North America by the land/ice bridge between Asia and what is now Alaska. They were immigrants, not indigenous people.

If humans began in Africa, then the humans who went to Australia (you don't hear much about how people migrated from Africa to Australia) must've been immigrants, too. Humans anywhere outside Africa would have been immigrants (at some time in their past) and unless the Africans were nailed to the floor, no doubt they migrated, too. Emigrated from one part and became immigrants in another.

Europe saw a movement of tribes from East to West. The Celts (those who survived) ended up jammed in Wales, Ireland, Cornwall and Brittany and were replaced by their erstwhile eastern neighbours, who in turn, were replaced by theirs.

I understand what you're saying Rupert and you're not the only one to have mentioned Vikings, Normans and various other migrations to this island.

However I'm of the opinion all of that is of absolutely zero relevance to todays situation. Simply stating that lots of people came here hundreds of years ago, imo, is not really any sort of reason or argument for the limiting or non-limiting of immigration today.

--

I'm well aware England is full, Mike. I was last in England in June and I'll be there again next week. The traffic and congestion gets worse every time and I've noted often enough that the UK cannot produce enough to feed the masses. - You currently import 42% of your food. England (not the UK) is the most densely-populated country in Europe.

As I noted in Post 106 the EU Directive on 'Free Movement allows the government of a member state to expel a migrant from another member state if that migrant either lacks the means to support himself/herself/family or has not obtained employment or self-employment which would supply those needs.

If you are going to expel somebody, you do, however, have to know he is there in the first place. The UK government has no record of who is present in the country. The people have rejected ID cards -as is their right - but if you don't have some form of ID system and if you don't have a requirement for people to register their presence in a community, how do you know how many people are in a given place and whether they are present lawfully?

In most European countries, people have some for of ID (not that they have to produce it very often) and people are obliged to register their current address and to obtain a tax identification number. It's easy to get into an EU country (the external borders don't seem to be well controlled and there are very few internal border checks) but once you are in the EU, you do have to prove who you are and register where you are living.

The borders to the UK are slightly tighter (though it's not that difficult to get in) and once you are in the UK, you are home free. You don't have to prove who you are, you don't have to register your address and you don't have to obtain a tax identification number.

Archived