Can't Britain just close and say we are full up?

Totally false. Our own 'people' don't get a look in as there's a queue of non-nationals standing in line before them. Most companies take a 'we can pay X a lot less than we can Y'. And it's been going on for years now.

The minimum wage applies to everyone!

Totally false. Our own 'people' don't get a look in as there's a queue of non-nationals standing in line before them. Most companies take a 'we can pay X a lot less than we can Y'. And it's been going on for years now.

So why doesn't "Y" work for what the company wants to pay them?

Or why doesn't "Y" capitalise on all the advantages of a free/subsidised education granted them by being nationals of one of the world's leading countries and acquire skills so they're in control of their own destiny, many have done it and have skills that have made them attractive to employers here and abroad.

And how many people who live in the UK have registered formally?

You don't have to register your presence in the UK. Each country makes its own rules - and each country has to live with the consequences of those rules.

In this country you have to be registered as living here to access Public Services.

It has. That is the basic history of all Irish immigration into this country. Capitalism drives workers in or drives work somewhere else.

Spot on, when your economy is doing well people want to come, when it hits problems caused by Snow, or Royal Weddings, or Resistant Headwinds then people will go elsewhere where these things don't happen.

How do you discern the nature of someone's residency status by the colour of their skin?

That's the sort of nonsense usually trotted out by the SF gobfrothers.

My post was replying to one relating to immigration, not ethnicity.

Unfortunately to some people it seems that to be British you have to be white.

It makes me sad that some people will always see a black face and think 'foreigner' and feel 'inferior'.

It makes me sad that some people will always see a black face and think 'foreigner' and feel 'inferior'.

That is pretty terrible, to be honest. But, I think, that way of thinking will die out once the last generation passes away.

For me, I just have to watch Celebrity Big Brother to think 'inferior'... :P

Unfortunately to some people it seems that to be British you have to be white.

I agree Kthebean, some of the most patriotic people I've ever encountered have been citizens of the former Commonwealth, yet the detractors would rather align themselves to people who look like them irrespective of what their personal qualities are.

If you are resident there then you need to pay their taxes, if you don't tell them you can still use their Health Service funded by the Spanish taxpayers.

How are these different to people doing the same thing here?

No difference at all. If a Spaniard comes to the UK, then (s)he is not required to register anywhere. Most people living in the UK are obliged to pay British taxes (but if they don't have to register, the government might find that difficult to enforce.)

Brits in Spain can use the health service funded by the Spanish taxpayer just as Spaniards in the UK can use the NHS.

If you want to, you can come to Germany and use German health care. ON exactly the same terms offered to Germans.

You will get a bill, which you will present to your insurers. (If you've got an EU health card issued in the UK - that's your insurer.)

If Spanish law requires residents to register their presence and the Spaniards are concerned that they have 675,000 unregistered British residents, then surely the answer is obvious?

Send the Police round to their houses, arrest them, bring them before a court, fine them heavily (and if you're really feeling mean, kick them out.)

There's nothing to stop Spain from doing that.

Spain has dual taxation agreements with the UK. A British expatriate living in Spain would pay either British taxes or Spanish taxes - not both.

It may be that a part of his/her income would be taxed by HMG and a part would be taxed by the Spanish government, but it wouldn't be taxed twice.

I don't know what the penalty for failing to register here (in Bavaria) is, but I suspect it would involve a significant fine and expulsion.

You don't have to register in the UK, which probably makes tax evasion there somewhat easier.

If there's a compulsion on you to formally register your residence and pay tax on your income,and you fail to do so then you are acting illegally.

No different to people coming here and not telling anyone, then going and working on the fiddle.

utter rubbish. epic fail.:gag:

Archived