Can't Britain just close and say we are full up?

It does show how they were wrong, but the fact that an urgent one child per family scheme wasn't introduced does suggest that they thought we could accommodate such numbers.

And they couldn't have been wrong about that as well? I'm not sure the fact that 50 years ago people thought that there'd be 75 millon of us meant that we could support that many...

It does show how they were wrong, but the fact that an urgent one child per family scheme wasn't introduced does suggest that they thought we could accommodate such numbers.

In the 60's we expected a nuclear war, to reduce the population.

That's a non-sequitur. A bus being full isn't an example of Britain being full. There isn't even a correlation to be made.

You used 'non-sequitur' therefore you *must* be correct... /sigh

There's a direct correlation between public transport, the police and the hospital services being overwhelmed.

Edit: After some thought, I realised you believe the country has plenty of space for immigrants to move here. Yikes for that kind of thinking!

Explain it to me then. I may be enlightened.

Well if public transport is packed full it generally means there is a lot of people, hence a strain on the public services.

If you go back 40 years there was not half as many people using public transport and there was not half the strain on things such as the NHS ect

And they couldn't have been wrong about that as well? I'm not sure the fact that 50 years ago people thought that there'd be 75 millon of us meant that we could support that many...

The lack of urgent actions, like those seen in other countries does suggest that it was thought that we could accommodate that many.

We could argue whether the country could have accommodated that number for ever, as we are talking about opinions and failed predictions but not facts. However, my point still stands the powers that in the 1960s the powers that be thought we could have accommodated a much lager population than we currently have today.

It is certainly true that the country doesn't have the facilities for such a number today, but that doesn't mean that the country cannot develop the facilities over time, and we'll certainly need to as the ageing population means that unless we increase our young tax paying population dramatically our ever increasing growing numbers of elderly will bankrupt us.

Well if public transport is packed full it generally means there is a lot of people, hence a strain on the public services.

Which only proves we need more public transport. What's that got to do with immigration?

If you go back 40 years there was not half as many people using public transport

I'd say the opposite. Car ownership has grown consistently since the 1950s.

Archived