Can't Britain just close and say we are full up?

It depends what you class as full there is still 'space left' but if there are no jobs available, the NHS is already pushed to its limit along with the police and many other public servant sectors.

So allowing more and more people into the country with out solving the problem that we already have things are just going to get worse and worse

Do you know how immigration policy works or is supposed to work? Potential immigrants have to satisfy a pre-defined set of criteria-known as 'points'.

This is in order to identify their reasons for coming here and whether they are required to do a job, study or fill skills shortages that will benefit UK plc.

The other criteria is a family connection, and even this has to be well established-if you had an Australian fiancée would you be happy if she was refused entry to the UK to marry you because she wasn't a British citizen? Even under these circumstances you would have to prove that you were able to support her or she was able to support herself by working in one of the sectors that has a shortage (see above).

Contrary to popular belief foreigners don't just turn up at Dover with only scurvy and ship's biscuits to their name and walk into the UK unchallenged.

Do you know how immigration policy works or is supposed to work? Potential immigrants have to satisfy a pre-defined set of criteria-known as 'points'.

This is in order to identify their reasons for coming here and whether they are required to do a job, study or fill skills shortages that will benefit UK plc.

The other criteria is a family connection, and even this has to be well established-if you had an Australian fiancée would you be happy if she was refused entry to the UK to marry you because she wasn't a British citizen? Even under these circumstances you would have to prove that you were able to support her or she was able to support herself by working in one of the sectors that has a shortage (see above).

Contrary to popular belief foreigners don't just turn up at Dover with only scurvy and ship's biscuits to their name and walk into the UK unchallenged.

Not sure anyone suggested that's what happened BF...you're starting to prove FrankSidley right.. in that suggesting there's an issue gets you branded as racist...no one has mentioned Australian or anything else...

BF, sadly, most of this just isn't true. Ok, you're right about the Scurvy, but I worked in Immigration / Naturalization for a lonnnng time and the system just doesn't work. That's right. I actually *worked directly in this area* and for every person the system catches. Loopholes and mistakes miss ten others.

Not sure anyone suggested that's what happened BF...you're starting to prove FrankSidley right.. in that suggesting there's an issue gets you branded as racist...no one has mentioned Australian or anything else...

Sorry you've totally lost me truman...I haven't branded or implied anyone is racist, so perhaps you're reading things into my post that aren't there.

I was pointing out the mechanics of immigration policy, there was no particular significance to mentioning 'Australian', the 'fiancée' could be any non European.

Can you tell us what "full" would mean then. Now that Chris has failed miserably..:D

I'll tell you what full means. It's the same with the UK as it is after you've had a really HUGE meal. You can't even scoff that last delicious wafer thin mint!

The UK is, at best, let's use the word overcrowded.

Archived