Rents rise, cars burn.

I have a secure tenancy in the social sector. I have no need to enter the private sector.

However I can appreciate that I am lucky (although only recently could one be classified as lucky for gaining a council tenancy).

I'm alright Jack, but I still bang on about the state of housing, because many others are not alright. I'm not going to stop making my point until people have viable housing options.

The current lack of housing, particularly for the youth is a disgrace.

unfortunately your one person crusade is not going to result in the building of 90000 properties to satisfy the needs of everyone on the re-housing register. There has never, and will never be enough social housing for everyone. Why should the state provide homes for everyone anyway?

Could it be that a significant number of them lack qualifications? (Many probably aren't even qualified to give a urine sample.)

It's not the fault of 'society' or 'the rich' or ' the government' that significant numbers of people can't be bothered to attend school, can't be bothered to gain the qualifications they need to get a job and have made themselves unemployable.

But they do attend school & the government provides those schools.

You must mean they couldn't be bothered to have parents that can afford private schooling, or a house in an area with a good school.

But you already have, haven't you?

It's just like the whole of England (Sheffield?) Rioting everywhere! And these buggers aren't even taking the car for a drive before they torch it!

Believe it or not, 'Berlin' is not Germany. There are parts of Berlin (notably Prenzlauer Berg, Moabit, Lichtenberg, Wedding, Pankow, and perhaps Neuköln and Marzahn) where you wouldn't want to go at night (particularly if you are dark-skinned). There are significant numbers of 'depraved' [pace, Hyacinth] Ossies who are unemployed, unemployable and who feel that the 'darkies' are taking their jobs.

There is a shortage of jobs for unskilled, unqualified workers in Berlin (particularly in the old Eastern part) - just as there is in many other large cities. People in Tottenham said: "There are no jobs here." - Yet there are thousands of people who commute to London to work. (Why don't those people who complain about the lack of jobs steal a march on the commuters?)

Could it be that a significant number of them lack qualifications? (Many probably aren't even qualified to give a urine sample.)

It's not the fault of 'society' or 'the rich' or ' the government' that significant numbers of people can't be bothered to attend school, can't be bothered to gain the qualifications they need to get a job and have made themselves unemployable.

You go for a job interview in Israel, they don't ask what school did you go to, or how far your education went, they ask you, what branch of the armed forces were you in ?

You go for a job interview in Israel, they don't ask what school did you go to, or how far your education went, they ask you, what branch of the armed forces were you in ?

In Isreal they also occupy parts of their neighbours' countries & make the lives of the people that live in those occupied territories miserable (or end them prematurely). That's why they have mandatory national military service.

There are over 60 flats & bedsits on the First Come First Served part of the Property Shop website, but unfortunately, apart from 2 they are all age banded, most for over 60 some for over 40. http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/fcfsprop.asp?

There are 2 x 1 bedroomed flats advertised at Pitsmoor, no waiting time. If you are going down the ordinary bidding route, your success will probably depend on how much waiting time you have. Good luck with finding somewhere.

Its pretty obvious that the council can't attract over 60s into those flats, so perhaps its time they looked at changing the rules, and turning some of the blocks into housing for younger people, as they are mainly the ones who need homes.

yeah, i'm not over 60... ... the biggest problem is no waiting time, and unless i'm under 18, disabled/vunerable, or female and pregnant they don't give a ****

yeah, i'm not over 60... ... the biggest problem is no waiting time, and unless i'm under 18, disabled/vunerable, or female and pregnant they don't give a ****

Your far higher up the list than a young person and have been able to accrue waiting time since 16. You are very fortunate.

Which is exactly how it should be. Social housing should be for people who have the greatest need.

But they do attend school & the government provides those schools.

You must mean they couldn't be bothered to have parents that can afford private schooling, or a house in an area with a good school.

Some of them attend schools ... but there have been more than enough reports which suggest that large number don't bother.

Yes, the schools are provided by the government. There are private schools available, but there are very many well-educated and highly-qualified people who were educated in government -provided schools.

You talk about 'an area with a good school'. Define a 'good school'. Don't all government-funded schools in the UK require teachers to be qualified? Don't they all require the school to follow a set syllabus? Don't they all have buildings provided by the state? Don't they all receive government money to run them?

If the teachers are the same, the buildings are the same and the funding is the same, what makes one school better than another?

Not strictly true. Under 18s don't always get help, every effort is made to help them stay with their families, which is a much better place for most of their age group. If you did have a serious enough disability to be considered vulnerable, I don't think you'd feel particularly lucky. Female and pregnant doesn't always mean they want social housing, and it also isn't a guarantee they'll be eligible.

However, I did point out two flats with no waiting time, and which aren't age banded, have you enquired about them? If no one else has got in first, you may just be lucky. ;)

And in answer to your last bit, who do you think should be responsible for you finding somewhere to live?

Archived