The humble office stapler..

That option is useful if you have multi-page documents that need to be photocopied or scanned, as the staple comes out easily. In my first ever full-time job (as a clerk), I used to use that option, or steel pins, to keep pages together. Paperclips were a luxury in that office.

In all my years working in offices, I've never seen anybody choose to use the other option, where the staple legs splay out rather than being folded in.

What's the point of the other option?

Is there a particular profession/task that utilises it?

I was told that it's so if you're making a big stack of stapled documents the staples fit together better as they pile up. You'd have to be very accurate in you're stapling and stacking for that to work though.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought: "Wow! - That's an office! - They have a person whose job is stapling things together?" (The humble office stapler.)

Is that the sort of job you can look forward to if you've got a degree in underwater basket weaving?

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought: "Wow! - That's an office! - They have a person whose job is stapling things together?" (The humble office stapler.)

We used to but now we have to do our own stapling. I think it's something to do with the Big Society.

In all my years working in offices, I've never seen anybody choose to use the other option, where the staple legs splay out rather than being folded in.

What's the point of the other option?

Is there a particular profession/task that utilises it?

I have seen, and used it lots....

Archived