A-Level Results 2011

Back in 1989 you were only allowed to take a maximum of two A Levels, and you could do an additional GCSE if you were particularly gifted.

In 1989 the norm was three with, possibly, General Studies. The promising got to do four, though not, I think, at my college.

ETA: I do remember the old AS Levels, which were introduced in 1989 or 90 and were at the same level as A Levels but which were studied in a year. Two of those could replace one A Level in a student's portfolio or, if you were bright, you could supplement your three A Levels workload with one AS in a different subject.

That's because all of today's students are above average.

As Hecate said, the large numbers of students achieving the top grades makes it very difficult for admission boards to select the best students for the most academically-challenging courses.

The A* grade was introduced because too many students were getting A grades. Do we need A** (and possibly A***) grades as well?

It's getting as silly as football. At one time it was First Division, Second Division, Third Division and Fourth Division.

Now (AFAIK) It's Premier League, Championship, League One and League Two. - You can't have people in 3rd and 4th divisions.

That's because all of today's students are above average...

About as meaningless, of course, as my last post (#14)! Let the mean be meaningful.

Unfortunately, some people seem to think it is true!

I was approached by an American University some years ago and invited to teach a couple of courses as a part-time lecturer.

They sent me their Professors' lecturers guide which advised me that, because their students were paying for their own courses and were all 'above average' professors lecturers would be expected to award mainly 'A' grades (though the occasional 'B' might be acceptable.

Given that their students were allegedly all 'above average' because they were paying for the courses, I asked where I might find the universities teaching similar courses to below-average students who had their courses paid for them.

I didn't get a reply.

Archived