A-Level Results 2011

Why should someone deserve an accolade for being born smart?

I don’t think being ‘born smart’ is a big factor, we're all born smart. More important are things such as an engagement with the world, a natural inquisitiveness, having hobbies and interests that stretch you, lots of reading etc.

The people who don’t seem to try very hard have done the work already but in a natural enjoyable way and for its own sake. These are good qualities in a person and that’s why I congratulate them.

All these excellent A level results and yet we are still getting a large proportion of people who can't string a sentence together grammatically or spell words. I even know of people with degrees who don't know the difference between its and it's and your and you're.

Other people just put it down to dyslexia!

But congratulations and well done to those who have managed to get their A levels and managed to get a University place - I would imagine that's the hardest part actually getting into a University to sit a degree.

By the same reasoning why should someone deserve an accolade for being born gifted at sport?

I dont think they should! But, like natural intellectual brilliance, sporting talent will come to nothing if not used/exercised/extended. The determination to keep going and achieve your PB is more worthy of praise imho than the fact of just being lucky!

There were 867, 317 pupils that finished A-level 2011. If A*-C was measure A-level passes as it one of the GCSE measure than 52.6 percent of pupils would have passed A-level but as it is about 456, 208 pupils. Whereas with A*-E being counted as passes 98.7 percent of pupils earn passes about 848, 236 pupils.

5, 469, 260 pupils took GCSE in 2009 A*-C passes 67.1 percent which means that 3, 669, 873 pupils passed A*-C passes. This means that about 12.4 percent of students were entered and passed A-level with at least a C. Whereas about 15.8 percent of those who took GCSE in 2009 and took A2 so therefore finished A-level 2011.

Back in 1989 you were only allowed to take a maximum of two A Levels, and you could do an additional GCSE if you were particularly gifted.

Rubbish-I took three in 1971,graduating in 1976.You must have attended a somewhat restrictive institution.

Archived