Private Car Mileage

Can anyone give me any advice on private car mileage. I've just recieved my private car mileage back from my employers in my salary however I seem to have been taxed on it leaving it not even covering the fuel i've used.

As far as I was aware private car mileage was tax free so can't understand why i've got so little back.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

This is mileage paid for distance travelled in your own car for work purposes?

If so it should be paid at 40p/mile (now 45p/mile) for the first 10k/annum, then 25p/mile after (not sure if that rate went up in April as well). And it should be untaxed as it's an expense payment, not a salary payment.

If your workplace have taxed it then they've made a mistake and you need to speak to your HR people.

Yes it's my own car for work purposes.

Thanks for the info didn't know it had gone up to 45p either.

Is there any where on HM revenue and customs website I can get this info from so I can give it to my employer as back up.

This is mileage paid for distance travelled in your own car for work purposes?

If so it should be paid at 40p/mile (now 45p/mile) for the first 10k/annum, then 25p/mile after (not sure if that rate went up in April as well). And it should be untaxed as it's an expense payment, not a salary payment.

If your workplace have taxed it then they've made a mistake and you need to speak to your HR people.

45p is the max payable per mile before tax, upto 10.000 mile. But it all depends on what your employer has said they will pay you per mile. Some employers pay a lot less than this. Once it drops to 25p you can also claim an extra 5p per mile for any other passenger in the vehicle while on work duties with you, payable while they are only actually in the car.

Archived