Is it worth reporting bad driving to the police?

Does anyone have any experience of Operation Crackdown? http://www.operationcrackdown.org/ . Me recent experience hasn't been very good.

I reported this video -

- which is of a driver overtaking a cyclist in the opposite carriageway and coming straight at us!

I reported it last weekend (7th August) and haven't heard anything, I phoned up the police number this morning with the crime number and this is how it went:

Them "The details have been passed onto Operation Crackdown"

Me "Oh, do you know if I should expect to hear from them?"

Them "I'm not sure, they deal with these things"

Me "Have you closed the case?"

Them "Yes we have, we do when we pass it to Operation Crackdown"

Next call to Operation Crackdown

Me "Here's the crime number I was given when I reported this"

Them "We can't use that reference... Name, location, date please"

Me "Details... Can you tell me what has happened with this incident, has it been reviewed?"

Them "I'm not sure, I'll speak to someone else"

Them "It has been reviewed and no action will be taken but the incident has been logged"

Me "By no action, does that include not letting me know this decision"

Them "Yes"

Me "Do you let people who report these things know the outcome"

Them "No"

So... Should I take from this that its a waste of time reporting bad driving in Sussex? The crime reference was closed as soon as I reported it! If this sort of incident doesn't even warrant a letter or a call from a police officer then I struggle to see what sort of bad driving would.

Assumptions are that Police are looking into "real" crime, ie that which has occured and needs looking at, not some close call as shown on the video clip.

Annoying that this action happened, yes. But no one was ultimately injured so Police may just be prioritising their labour.

Regards

Angel.

Does anyone have any experience of Operation Crackdown? http://www.operationcrackdown.org/ . Me recent experience hasn't been very good.

I reported this video -

- which is of a driver overtaking a cyclist in the opposite carriageway and coming straight at us!

I reported it last weekend (7th August) and haven't heard anything, I phoned up the police number this morning with the crime number and this is how it went:

Me "Details... Can you tell me what has happened with this incident, has it been reviewed?"

Them "It has been reviewed and no action will be taken but the incident has been logged"

Them "Yes"

Them "No"

So... Should I take from this that its a waste of time reporting bad driving in Sussex? The crime reference was closed as soon as I reported it! If this sort of incident doesn't even warrant a letter or a call from a police officer then I struggle to see what sort of bad driving would.

You really do need to get a life.:roll::roll::roll::roll:...........

I reported this video -

Them "Yes"

Them "No"

I'm afraid the police just don't have the manpower to look into things like this.

And it will only get worse when the madness of cutting police numbers comes in

While I think some cyclists behave like idiots, in this case he was right and if you notice part of the wing mirror was missing so evidently white van man has had a not so near miss. Although I wonder how someone happened to be recording this happening

A helmet camera, perhaps?

If he's cycling while holding a camcorder, he's a bigger threat to his own life than any oncoming vehicle driver might be.

The cyclist at the back of him was recording but I couldn't tell if he was wearing hemet. The more I look at it the more I think it was a set up or why did the cyclist put his hand out as the van passed him?

Archived