Is it cat mating time?

It's not likely to be one cat yowling, it's far more likely to be two, having a Mexican sit off (which is the cat version of a Mexican stand off- they usually can't be bothered doing the standing part, and may also be having a wash, which kind of dilutes the effect for onlookers).

Cats mate for most of the year, determined by whether there's a queen in season nearby, so I'd say that there's a queen in season somewhere near your street and that's causing the toms to start getting rowdy.

Very loud, rather irritating and is likely to result in nothing more than some lost sleep for the humans, but could result in major injuries for the loser in the sit off (if he's stupid enough not to back down during the noisy phase).

It's not likely to be one cat yowling, it's far more likely to be two, having a Mexican sit off (which is the cat version of a Mexican stand off- they usually can't be bothered doing the standing part, and may also be having a wash, which kind of dilutes the effect for onlookers).

Cats mate for most of the year, determined by whether there's a queen in season nearby, so I'd say that there's a queen in season somewhere near your street and that's causing the toms to start getting rowdy.

Very loud, rather irritating and is likely to result in nothing more than some lost sleep for the humans, but could result in major injuries for the loser in the sit off (if he's stupid enough not to back down during the noisy phase).

Really useful info thanks. I wasn't particularly bothered by the loudness of it, it's a distressing sound as though a cat is in pain or stuck somewhere.

Really useful info thanks. I wasn't particularly bothered by the loudness of it, it's a distressing sound as though a cat is in pain or stuck somewhere.

Probably not in pain. My cat make the most horrendous noise if she sees a cat she doesn't like in our garden.

male cats will make terrible noises when fighting and when a female has been mated she screams place down,yes it does sound like they are in pain,foxes also can make horrendous racket,they sound like babies screaming,i used to work nights at norfolk park nr tram lines and first time i heard a fox i went out thinking someone had been run over lol

Archived