What would you rather own?

What would you rather own?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather own?

• A Bachelor's degree
    • A house
    • The fruits of your labour (I.e. not being in debt)
    • Apostolic poverty is the future!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14488312

Average debts may reach £53,000 for UK students starting in 2012 - double the figure for 2011 - an annual survey suggests.

(And they might not even get a degree!)

Yes, a lot more expensive then when I did my first degree, but still cheaper than a cheap house and in the end provides one with a lot of potential!

So is it worth it you have to ask!

For those who don't go to uni (and pass) what is the probability of them getting a £40k job before the age of 30? Then compare that figure to the probability of someone with a good degree!

In the strictest neutral sense, like wiping your arse is an achievement.

Owning your own house outright is an achievement also.

Indeed it is, but it is an achievement that brings with it a possession - the house. The house can be sold on, given away; the degree cannot.

The certificate that says you have a degree, is a possession if you like. You can dispose of that, but the degree would still be yours.

You don't own a house, you hold a title of ownership, people LIVE in them. It had to be built in the first place. It's not yours forever.

Once the degree is yours, it is yours, you own it.

Err, no I definitely own this house. I can sell it, not sell it, live in or leave it empty, give it away or knock it down if I wish.

I have a degree, I can't sell it or otherwise transfer ownership, I can't make it go away at all, I'm stuck with it now. Completely different to a physical thing which I have possession of, as someone already said, a degree is something you've achieved, once that's happened it's happened.

In the strictest neutral sense, like wiping your arse is an achievement.

Owning your own house outright is an achievement also.

An interesting bit of word play.

Owning a chocolate bar is an achievement (a small one), but subsequent to achieving it you can loose it, or eat it, or sell it again. You will still have owned a chocolate bar, the achievement persists, the possession does not.

The achievement was to become the owner of a chocolate bar and ownership is a temporary condition.

With regards to the degree, the achievement is to have been awarded the degree, it's ephemeral and permanent. You will always be a graduate after you've achieved it.

So you still don't possess a degree in the same way that you possess chocolate or property, so they're still really poor comparisons.

Archived