Meersbrook in the 60s and 70s

Our newsagents was Maltby's on Chesterfield Road, near the bottom of Millmount Road.

I had a girlfriend who lived at the bottom of millmount road her father was Ted Hall and mother was called Gloria,She was called Edwina I use to go in that corner shop often,a long time ago now.

Hi Demeer. Small world I was best mates with Andy through my teens , We used to go skating together to pick up girls at Silver Blades. This is where he met Carol and I met my wife.I last saw Andy about 73/4 ,I was working at J R Bramahs (Halfway) and he was working for a decorating company painting the factory. If you ever hear from him give him my regards ,I love to hear from him again. Bye Dave.

Hello old neighbour, I remember you and Beryl (nee Marshall) at the funeral and I think you are the Price family (sorry cant remember any first names) can you comfirm you are a hairdresser , and the young girl my mum put makeup on at the end of the war. She would be about 24 then and you about 14, Good to hear from you

Best regards David

Hi Dave ,yes I was the eldest. I don't think you would remember any of the family. But if you went to Newfield you might have known my Son's. Martin and John Hunter.?

You mention Mr and Mrs Enderby We all had to call her Madame Enderby. !! She was a famous judge on what was the fore runner os Strictly Come Dancing ! Do you remember Marjorie Wilton? She used to shop for Madame Enderby. Also the lady you knew as Mrs Wray was a Lady in Waiting to our Queens Grandmother. That was before she married. Her Son Reggie was in Wadsley Asylum for many years. Mr Wray was a disgusting old man who bred maggots on the railway at the bottom of Little London Road.

Hi again Rhonde80, I dont recall your lads or Mrs Wray ( she died before I was old enough to recall) but all other names are I remember. I didnt know about the royal connection though, I used to go with Joan Street (like a second mother to me) to Middlewood hospital to visit Reggie on the odd Sunday morning. Here`s a few more names to get to grips with;

Wiltons, Waltons, Macdonalds,Kenderdines, Sykes/Fulfords, Kerrys, Retfern ,

Yun Bun, Scoleys ,Binks, Dexters,Sulivans,Skeltons, Banks,Bridons/Cockers, Bailey,Sanderson, . this must be a trip down memory lane, I feel free to add to them ,Im loving it.

Dave

I'm really calling on my memory bank here. I am sure the incident with the runaway vehicle coming down Derbyshire Lane took place in about March / April 1968. I am sure I was going back home on the bus from Bramall Lane - the Blades had just lost 3-2 to Fulham and relegation loomed when I saw the vehicle sticking out of the house on Chesterfield Road. Does this jog anyone else's memory.

Did anyone remember a lad called Adedapio Adenyi who lived on Chesterield Road, almost opposite Derbyshire Lane?

Hi again Rhonde80, I dont recall your lads or Mrs Wray ( she died before I was old enough to recall) but all other names are I remember. I didnt know about the royal connection though, I used to go with Joan Street (like a second mother to me) to Middlewood hospital to visit Reggie on the odd Sunday morning. Here`s a few more names to get to grips with;

Wiltons, Waltons, Macdonalds,Kenderdines, Sykes/Fulfords, Kerrys, Retfern ,

Yun Bun, Scoleys ,Binks, Dexters,Sulivans,Skeltons, Banks,Bridons/Cockers, Bailey,Sanderson, . this must be a trip down memory lane, I feel free to add to them ,Im loving it.

Dave

One of the staff members at Larders Chemists (Betty Cooke) used to go across to Joan Street's for her lunch, Joan was a very kind lady.

Binks were the bakers, Fulfords were the "wedding/funeral" people, they provided my wedding cars in 1970, Robert Banks was at Carfield School with us.

Hi David, Wow, what a lot of memories you have revived. Re the Wiltons Sylvia lives in the flats now. I'm not sure but I think it was the Wrays. Marjorie her Sister lives in the retirement houses at the side of Carfield School.

The Kenderdines had the gift shop didn't they.? Sykes was the Shoe Repairer. I bought Miss Redfern's Hairdressing Salon. Dante McDonald was the Gents Hairdresser. Their daughter was called Jeanette after the film star of the time.

Binks the baker at one time played for Sheffield Wednesday and married the Wednesday Queen. He was a very sarcastic man and never let the chance go by to put the locals down. His Son's were Jimmy who became a doctor and David who became a headteacher. I worked in hie shop during the school holidays and vividly remember him taking the micky out of Reggie Wray who came back in shortly after and showed Sidney Binks a certificate.He said you think you are clever but you haven't got one of these. It said on it that Reggie Wray had been declared sane.!!!!I think this is enough for now. Lovely going down memory lane.

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 10:50 ----------

Mistake made Miss Redferns was the Woo Shop bought by Mrs Revill ( Ida Beaumont) She turned it into the Hairdressing Salon I bought around 1966. Sorry for the mistake.

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 10:51 ----------

Whoops even the WOOL shop.

Archived