Who was the best prime minister of the UK?

If you'd have been brought up on the other side of the tracks your thoughts may differ, her biographer is seeing the light at last. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8655106/Im-starting-to-think-that-the-Left-might-actually-be-right.html
I'm familiar with both sides of the tracks, having been brought up in a largely working class family, including steelworkers and miners.

Her biographer's views are his and his alone. When he comes out with comments like this: "The rich run a global system that allows them to accumulate capital and pay the lowest possible price for labour", somebody needs to remind him that's how trade and free market has worked since early man first started swapping fruits and tilling fields. Only a fool pays more for something than it is worth, and that certainly includes labour rates.

Those poor, oppressed workers are the same people who would be livid if higher wage rates made the price of their ipods, Playstations and plasma TVs go up.

Markets and economies are driven by consumer demand.

Mrs Thatcher for me as well.

She changed the face of Britain in the 80s.

She sure did a lot for the museum industry..I mean just think of the people who go there because they have never seen a working coal mine or a good old British steel working mill

No that my personal circumstances are the subject of this thread.

I think personal circumstances are relevant on this thread, most folk will judge who was the best pm based on their life experiences under a certain pm and government. I and many other working class Sheffielders suffered terribly under Mrs Thatcher's government in the 80's and that's why I wouldn't think of her as the best prime minister of the UK

I think personal circumstances are relevant on this thread, most folk will judge who was the best pm based on their life experiences under a certain pm and government. I and many other working class Sheffielders suffered terribly under Mrs Thatcher's government in the 80's and that's why I wouldn't think of her as the best prime minister of the UK
But that's allowing personal circumstances to skew the overall picture. Some industries were dying - the rest of the country did not deserve to be burdened by supporting unprofitable heavy industry.

John Major. Out of all the PMs that I have seen, he did the best job of being PM. I can';t say I agreed with many of his bigger decisions, and he's well out of my political green zone, but he got the tories re-elected when really they shouldn't have stood a chance.

But that's allowing personal circumstances to skew the overall picture.

When your struggling to put food on the table and pay the bills to keep a roof over your head it tends to skew the overall picture. What were your experiences of the 80's in Sheffield Conrod?

John Major. Out of all the PMs that I have seen, he did the best job of being PM. I can';t say I agreed with many of his bigger decisions, and he's well out of my political green zone, but he got the tories re-elected when really they shouldn't have stood a chance.

He was an unelected PM

Archived