Who was the best prime minister of the UK?

Clement Attlee and his post war government did a lot for the British working class therefore I rate him very highly.

Margaret Thatcher restored Britain's prestige abroad and curbed the more abusive, radical elements among the leaders of Britain's trade unions although her all out policy of privatizing everything and putting thousands of miners out of work is a black mark against her.

When a pundit told Roy Hattersley that Thatcher was highly regarded in Japan he retorted

"The further Thatcher travels,the more highly is she regarded"

Does anyone know if it's correct as my old man always says that labour got way more votes than the Tories but lost the 1951 election

They didn't get "way" more votes. Labour took about 13,950,000 votes to the Tories' 13,700,000, but the Tories won more seats and formed the government.

It did once happen the other way round as well, but I don't recall when. More recently, Labour have been the beneficiaries of skewed constituency sizes; at times in the past it has favoured the Conservatives, or the Liberals when they were a major force.

Archived