Who was the best prime minister of the UK?

They would not want to. The graph shows exactly how much damage Blair and Brown's policies ended up doing to the economy in 2009.

How does that work then, I posted based on economic growth then Blair should get the vote and the graph I linked shows exactly that:huh:

How does that work then, I posted based on economic growth then Blair should get the vote and the graph I linked shows exactly that:huh:

The graph you linked shows economic shrinkage during 2009. Perhaps what's appearing when we click on the link is not what you're looking at when you post it?

The graph you linked shows economic shrinkage during 2009. Perhaps what's appearing when we click on the link is not what you're looking at when you post it?

You need to change the date to whatever year you wish to compare, 1997 would be the obvious one.

You need to change the date to whatever year you wish to compare, 1997 would be the obvious one.

1997 would be a silly one. It takes anything from two years upwards for a policy change to actually become visible in economic effects. The only short-term effect a new government can have is a placebo/nocebo one, based on what people think will happen.

Earl Grey as the best, because hardly any political progress would ever have been made in this country without the Great Reform Act of 1832.

Clement Atlee deserves a mention as well. About as different from today's politicians as it is possible to get and with a record of acheivement that put's today's lot to shame.

Mrs Thatcher for me as well.

She changed the face of Britain in the 80s.

Yes the evil old bat broke the working man of this country, set them against each other and that's what started the rot that's now set in. Small businesses in the mining communities went to the wall, never to recover.

Anybody who steals milk from children is hardly going to care about the effect she had on us commoners. She came on saying she was just a grocers daughter whereas in fact 'daddy' owned a chain of supermarkets:roll::roll:

The best prime minister we could have had was John Smith

I think it is a mistake to include a prime minister from the last government or the one before as best or worst, probably the last 20 years should not be included

Because only when their policies and influence have fully run their course can you understand what value they have been.

For instance Gordon Brown is not thought of in a good light today because of his behaviour in the last election where he dismissed a woman as a bigot, and his apparently selfish behaviour when he coveted the top job. He made some interesting changes to the bank of england regulation and we may not understand if these things will prove to be stupid or brilliant for many years to come.

Tony Blair is reviled by many people for his support for war against Iraq and Afghanistan. This story is yet to run its course and we may in time hold up his decisions as profoundly beneficial to the UK. However this may not be for 10 or 20 years.

Yes the evil old bat broke the working man of this country, set them against each other and that's what started the rot that's now set in. Small businesses in the mining communities went to the wall, never to recover.

Anybody who steals milk from children is hardly going to care about the effect she had on us commoners. She came on saying she was just a grocers daughter wheras in fact 'daddy' owned a chain of supermarkets:roll::roll:

The best prime minister we could have had was John Smith

Mrs Thatcher without a shadow of doubt was the best we have ever had and is what we need right now!! to sort this mess of a country!

yes she broke the unions and good on her for that, the mines were not economically viable, as for the free milk as i remember at school it hardly ever got drunk as is was warm and tasted off...well thats what we thought, so was a complete waste of money, also certain underprivilidged kids still got the milk anyway........as for the grocers daughter bit and chain of supermarkets:hihi: bit of a chip on that shoulder eh:suspect:

Archived