Rip Off Britain

Since our puppy decided to 'examine' my binoculars, I have been promising myself a replacement pair. After researching the market I decided on a good brand name with a RRP of £219.99, however I discovered that Amazon were marketing them at £99.99 inclusive of free delivery.

A couple of days later I decided to go ahead so I logged in. There they were at £99.99 with free delivery, but hang on, I was in the US site, the price was actually $99.99. The wife's cousin and her husband are due over in October, so I emailed her and asked if she minded me having it delivered to her, to bring over with her.

So job done, I paid £60.00 for them, are the suppliers treating us as soft touches? :mad:

When they pass through customs carrying some shiny new binoculars, might they be required to pay duty on them?

Edit. btw, I do agree that there often seems to be a big difference between what we are asked to pay, and what other people can buy stuff for.

I do believe that there is still no law against American nationals being in possession of a pair of new binoculars. :hihi:

I do believe that there is still no law against American nationals being in possession of a pair of new binoculars. :hihi:
You're quite right, as long as they don't tell Customs that these binoculars are gifts to their friends. Taking them out of the shipping box will help.

You're quite right, as long as they don't tell Customs that these binoculars are gifts to their friends. Taking them out of the shipping box will help.

You can bring in £390.00 worth of presents though. Even our Revenue and Customs must have more to do than to harass US pensioners visiting our shores.

We have an economy where prices of items are set not by what is fair, but by what research suggests people will be willing to pay.

Glad you found the bargain, I'm off to the lab to bio-engineer a 30ft dog with a 4ft gob, so anything they 'examine' will come out in once piece.

Archived