Rip Off Britain

Yes but surely that's just the economics of 'Supply and Demand? Why pay such exhorbitant prices in the South when you can purchase a whole street in Manchester for the price of a London flat?

Which would be dead handy if you happened to be a Pearly Queen. :rolleyes:

Yes but surely that's just the economics of 'Supply and Demand? Why pay such exhorbitant prices in the South when you can purchase a whole street in Manchester for the price of a London flat?

I was replying to Dimbat's comment about car prices and referring to house prices in the US.

You can, of course, apply 'supply and demand' to the original post, too.

Crookesey said the RRP is £219.99, but Amazon in the US were selling them for $99.99.

Presumably there are people in the UK who are prepared to pay £219.99 (there is a demand at that price) but there is nobody in the UK prepared to supply them at £60. (There are no suppliers at that price.)

If the item originates from outside the EU, then there may be an EU import tariff (which a UK seller would have to consider) and there is, of course VAT.

It's probably cheaper to run an e-shop than to run a high street shop (which will also affect the UK price) and it may be that turnover at amazon.com is far higher (so they are prepared to accept a lower mark-up.)

Even so - allowing for all those factors - the UK price is high.

England is very densely populated, which may account for some of the difference in house prices. London is expensive (but then, houses in other Capital cities are expensive, too.)

House prices in Sheffield (probably lower than in many other parts of the country) are considerably higher than they are in many US cities.

I've been looking at Sheffield house prices recently and it appears that I could buy a house in Sheffield which is less than half the size of my house in Florida for more than twice the price.

I was replying to Dimbat's comment about car prices and referring to house prices in the US.

Crookesey said the RRP is £219.99, but Amazon in the US were selling them for $99.99.

Presumably there are people in the UK who are prepared to pay £219.99 (there is a demand at that price) but there is nobody in the UK prepared to supply them at £60. (There are no suppliers at that price.)

If the item originates from outside the EU, then there may be an EU import tariff (which a UK seller would have to consider) and there is, of course VAT.

It's probably cheaper to run an e-shop than to run a high street shop (which will also affect the UK price) and it may be that turnover at amazon.com is far higher (so they are prepared to accept a lower mark-up.)

England is very densely populated, which may account for some of the difference in house prices. London is expensive (but then, houses in other Capital cities are expensive, too.)

House prices in Sheffield (probably lower than in many other parts of the country) are considerably higher than they are in many US cities.

I've been looking at Sheffield house prices recently and it appears that I could buy a house in Sheffield which is less than half the size of my house in Florida for more than twice the price.

Nail on head!.Mr Baehr.........what do people expect? all we have done in the UK for the past few years is shift money around in ever decreasing circles and run round flogging houses to each other in ever increasing circles!........time to cough up!

It's not the houses that are expensive, it's the land that they are standing on that is the problem. You are living in a very big country with no shortage of land, other than in places like New York.

What gets me is that the wife's cousin's husband pays the same for a new car as I pay for a 3 year old one of a similar type.

When they pass through customs carrying some shiny new binoculars, might they be required to pay duty on them?

Edit. btw, I do agree that there often seems to be a big difference between what we are asked to pay, and what other people can buy stuff for.

wear them round neck and say that you will use them on holiday,as with watches etc.

The land that my house in Florida stands on is worth about $22,500. (I know that because I had originally intended to build my own house, had bought a piece of land and sold it back to the housing association at the same time that I bought the house.)

I paid $97,500 for the house. Subtract $22,500 and the structure was worth $75,000.

Ignoring the difference in land prices (and building land is more expensive in Sheffield than in the US) what sort of house would you expect in Sheffield for £47,000?

I did get a bargain - the housing market there is depressed (and the planned closures at Canaveral aren't going to help the local economy much.)

My previous house (in Mississippi) was on half an acre of land and the land cost (at that time, when house prices in the US were at their peak) £15000. Land is very cheap there. The house itself (2500 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms) cost an additional £85,000.

How much house would £85,000 have bought in Sheffield before the prices dropped?

Car prices (and boat prices) in the US are indeed very cheap - but it's not true to say that everything is cheap. Food prices in the US are (slightly) higher than they are in the UK.

American servicemen in the UK have their own grocery store (the Commissary) which sells at "cost + 5%". The patrons do buy US branded items (and beef) there, but most of them do a significant amount of their shopping in Tesco and Sainsbury.

The Commissary is reckoned to be cheaper than Supermarkets in the US.

Archived