On a flight, what does 33 inch pitch mean?

I think it's measured from the back of the seat in front of you to the front of the back (if that makes sense) of your seat. it does not include the thickness of the upright part of your seat.

Effectively, it's an indication of how much room you will have for the part of your body between your kneecap and the bottom of your spine.

The pitch is the distance between one point ona seat and the same point on the next seat. It typically is measured by looking at the floor anchor bolts for the seat leg.

A pitch of 33 inches is quite generous for an economy class eat - most are about the 30-31 inch range (some as little as 28 inches - I'm not flying Spirit Airlines again!)

IF you lose approx 6 inches for the seat thickness and cushioning (probably excessive) that's still a pitch of 27 inches, and if your knee to backside distance is longer than that you are very tall and need ideally to try for an aisle or front row seat.

I think it's measured from the back of the seat in front of you to the front of the back (if that makes sense) of your seat. it does not include the thickness of the upright part of your seat.

Effectively, it's an indication of how much room you will have for the part of your body between your kneecap and the bottom of your spine.

and how much of your leg will protrude through the spine of the person in the seat in front of you... lol.

i will copy and past it for you.

SEAT PITCH

This is the distance between a row of seats - the measurement from the same position on two seats, one behind the other - it is NOT the legroom area as some believe. (For example, the back face of the seat in front of you, measured to the same point on the back face of the seat you are sitting in)

Archived