Combi boiler advice

Just finishing a 2year guarantee on a brand new Cb.how much risk in not renewing.
We took out the British Gas plan, it was the best thing we've done.

In the first 3 years after the gaurantee ran out we had so many repairs that we could have bought a new boiler three times over had we had to pay, luckily we'd taken out the British Gas Plan which has been worth it'e weight in gold to us.

These Combi boilers are OK until something goes wrong, in 19 years with our previous boiler and system which I instaled myself I only had to change the thermocouple.

Well mine certainly hasn't neither has any of our family or friends and the last thing you'd want is wasted residual heat that is so wasteful that it heats up radiators

Some combination boilers supply hot water quicker than others. This is mainly because some store a small amount of hot water, so when the hot tap is run the stored water is used first. Others have to start up from cold which could mean running a lot of cold water before the hot water gets to the tap. You could also equally argue that a lot of cold mains water is lost due the the inefficiency of the lack of instantaneous hot water.

The residual heat could be caused by poor pipe insulation or schematics.

One wonders why you haven't changed back your system bassman considering all the problems you've had since. The cost of a system 3 times over seems nothing but a nightmare, or you were sold a real crappy combi.

Just finishing a 2year guarantee on a brand new Cb.how much risk in not renewing.

A good engineer is as important as a decent combi. Most plumbers haven't a clue when it comes to Combi's. Find an engineer you can trust, not one that sticks a hoover on it once every 12months and charge you an arm and leg.

Some of the lads on here are pretty efficient..check out the boiler megathread.

Some combination boilers supply hot water quicker than others. This is mainly because some store a small amount of hot water, so when the hot tap is run the stored water is used first. Others have to start up from cold which could mean running a lot of cold water before the hot water gets to the tap. You could also equally argue that a lot of cold mains water is lost due the the inefficiency of the lack of instantaneous hot water.

The residual heat could be caused by poor pipe insulation or schematics.

One wonders why you haven't changed back your system bassman considering all the problems you've had since. The cost of a system 3 times over seems nothing but a nightmare, or you were sold a real crappy combi.

The only stored hot water is if it has been run recently or the central heating is on.

Regarding residual heat from the domestic hot water pipes heating the central heating system, the mind boggles, you'd have to be running the hot water constantly for the conditions that the thread starter commented on to materialise.

I took out the British Gas scheme as soon as the warranty on the boiler expired, as well as maintaining the boiler the rest of our system is covered so we got a new fan in our kick space heater.

Others have to start up from cold which could mean running a lot of cold water before the hot water gets to the tap. You could also equally argue that a lot of cold mains water is lost due the the inefficiency of the lack of instantaneous hot water.

That is why before Combi boilers the limit for pipe run from the domestic hot water cylinder to the furthest hot water tap was 9.1370558 metres.

:loopy:I leave my hot water on 24 hours with my combi boiler.Just this week when I have run the hot water for a bath or in the sink my radiators have come on in the bathroom and back bedroom???? and I dont know why has anyone any idea.

Hi, by far the most likely cause of your radiators getting hot when you run hot water is a passing diverter valve in your boiler(obviously depending on which combi it is as a few don't have a diverter valve). When you run hot water the diverter valve should sit in the 'water' position- not allowing any heat to pass to your radiators, if the diverter valve is worn or has debris/ sludge from within the system stopping it from closing or seating properly it will allow heat to pass to your central heating pipework causing exactly the problem you describe. In some cases the diverter valve seating will be able to be cleaned, in some cases a repair kit will need to be fitted and in some cases the whole diverter valve will need replacing(again depending on which combi you have and what is stopping the valve from re seating)

Regards

Dan

Hi, by far the most likely cause of your radiators getting hot when you run hot water is a passing diverter valve in your boiler(obviously depending on which combi it is as a few don't have a diverter valve). When you run hot water the diverter valve should sit in the 'water' position- not allowing any heat to pass to your radiators, if the diverter valve is worn or has debris/ sludge from within the system stopping it from closing or seating properly it will allow heat to pass to your central heating pipework causing exactly the problem you describe. In some cases the diverter valve seating will be able to be cleaned, in some cases a repair kit will need to be fitted and in some cases the whole diverter valve will need replacing(again depending on which combi you have and what is stopping the valve from re seating)

Regards

Dan

Good informative post.

Archived