Sheaf markets/Castle markets

goldenfleece

Just by where the sheaf market building was, used to be the old rag and tag market, I remember getting dragged all round there as a small child, shopping with my mother.

it was a lot like doncaster outdoor market with tin rooved stalls, I remember the huge puddles, with sheets of cardboard to walk on.

There was a "Pay a penny, and I guess your weight" woman, with a massive set of scales that you sat on, like a swing. If she hadn't guessed your weight correctly, she'd give you your penny piece back.

Tt was very hustly and bustly down there.

There was also the huge old Norfolk market hall which stood near Dixon lane (named for th dukes of Norfolk who owned a lot of the land in Sheffield)

PT

• 4 years later...

Rather than set up a new thread to ask my question, I'll use this old one. Does anyone remember the place in the old rag and tag market where they used to sell pets and small livestock? It was like a huge barn, a pretty filthy place as I remember. As a kid we bought tortoises there. My granddad brought back a load of chicks in a box one day and was looking forward to some fresh eggs from them as they got older. Then, one morning, the ****-a-doodle-dos started. They'd sold him roosters.

But, did that place have a name?

Rather than set up a new thread to ask my question, I'll use this old one. Does anyone remember the place in the old rag and tag market where they used to sell pets and small livestock? It was like a huge barn, a pretty filthy place as I remember. As a kid we bought tortoises there. My granddad brought back a load of chicks in a box one day and was looking forward to some fresh eggs from them as they got older. Then, one morning, the ****-a-doodle-dos started. They'd sold him roosters.

....Mace's ?

Were they going cheap?

Archived