Sheaf markets/Castle markets

goldenfleece

Woolworths was where Wlikinsons is now and I believe that it was there in 1959 ...
I'm afraid not. :(. Woolworth's was built after the Norfolk Market Hall was demolished in 1959. This 1960 photo shows the building under construction. Wilkinsons took over the building when Woolworths moved out..:)

I'm afraid not. :(. Woolworth's was built after the Norfolk Market Hall was demolished in 1959. This 1960 photo shows the building under construction. Wilkinsons took over the building when Woolworths moved out..:)

I was born in '47 and Woolies was on the corner of Haymarket and Dixon Lane, on the left coming up Dixon Lane, an old building we used to go nicking odds and ends on Saturday mornings circa 1960 and soon after Woolies moved to their new premises.

I was born in '47 and Woolies was on the corner of Haymarket and Dixon Lane, on the left coming up Dixon Lane...
Yes - Woolies can be seen in this photo looking down Haymarket - between the tram and the TRUE-FORM shoe shop. The gable of the Norfolk Market Hall can be seen further away.

They both existed at the same time, near one another according to my 1968 and 1973 Kelly's directories - here is a scan from the 1968 directory. They are both still listed in the same locations in the 1973 directory (compiled in 1972). I don't know if Ogleys moved elsewhere when the Sheaf Market closed in 1973 but Mace's continued in business.

I also remember Mace's being at the top end of the Sheaf Market, as Banker noted, and so both firms must have been in the Sheaf Market for a while. Perhaps Mace's moved to Exchange Street in the early 1960s.

Perhaps they shared space in the same building during the era of my childhood - late 40s/ early 50s. I think that straw was spread down to cover the dirt floor. The building I remember was a real dump, would never get approval nowadays. Dark and dirty. Animals cramped in cages. But as a kid I used to like going around it.

I vaguely remember the cages of puppies. I do remember being 9 or so, sneaking into town to try to buy a hamster from there after my mum refused to buy me one. No sale of small furries without a note from home though.

Ha Ha I tried to buy a kitten when I was about 10 as mum wouldnt let me have one. They wouldn, t sell me one either!!

I remember Ogleys from somewhere though... I remember the Moorfoot shop but I`m sure they had one elsewhere... What was the name of that pet shop in the castle market...? The main pet bit of the place was upstairs and the downstairs bit sold pet foods and stuff...was that an Ogleys?

No, that was maces

I remember Macey's or Maces being in a kind of bunker under the market hall on Exchange St, my brother went out with a girl who worked there around 1950, there was also a pet shop in the rag and tag [open air market] that was an old stone building that was underneath Commercial St, unfortunately I don't remember Ogley's.

I remember them building the new Woolies, when we had the big gale around 1960, a big drum of water blew off the top floor at the back of the construction site and landed on a woman killing her, a few women I worked with at the time saw it happen during their dinner break and had to be sent home.

I remember Macey's or Maces being in a kind of bunker under the market hall on Exchange St, my brother went out with a girl who worked there around 1950, there was also a pet shop in the rag and tag [open air market] that was an old stone building that was underneath Commercial St, unfortunately I don't remember Ogley's.

I remember them building the new Woolies, when we had the big gale around 1960, a big drum of water blew off the top floor at the back of the construction site and landed on a woman killing her, a few women I worked with at the time saw it happen during their dinner break and had to be sent home.

Skippy - yes, that's the one I remember- the big building at the Commercial St end of the old rag and tag. It might have been built of stone as you say, but in all other respects it resembled a big barn. Cheers.

Skippy - yes, that's the one I remember- the big building at the Commercial St end of the old rag and tag. It might have been built of stone as you say, but in all other respects it resembled a big barn. Cheers.

Yes it did rog, thats how I remember it.

Archived