Ranmoor Inn - who owns it?

beegee7

Do you really think my daughter would have become drunken? Incidentally, a few nights ago I saw an obviously inebriated middle-aged man being served more than once, when he would have been better off being refused. It's not just teenagers that can become drunken. In a group of other teenagers, I could fully understand her being asked. I agree the staff were correct I said that all along, they were just complying to a stupidly inconsistent policy.

No i don't think she would have become drunken but believe me if a rumour gets out that a pub serves teenagers without even asking for ID then i can promise you that the pub will quickly become inundated with new customers- its what we used to do!

I agree its a daft policy, I think they should take a leaf out of the USA's book and just ask everyone for ID, everyone will carry ID and no-one will be left offended like you were.

This would not have been an issue in a supermarket. I could have bought her a case of vodka with enough alcohol to kill her and would not have been challenged. I saw a mother today in a supermarket with a baby, buying a bottle of wine as part of her groceries. Why wasn't she challenged? Her baby was underage and she got served. How could the check-out operator let her purchase wine when she could have been buying it to put in her baby's bottle? Obviously challenge 25 was not applied in this case. I should email the supermarket to complain.:hihi:

Actually, I'm afraid this isn't true either, supermarkets are becoming ever more vigilant, in many cases overly zealous. I know of someone buying alcohol for herself at the Sainsbury's near the station, she had her 17 year old daughter shopping with her. They refused to sell the alcohol to her unless her daughter was over 18 and had ID to prove it, even though the wine was not for her daughter's consumption.

I really can't understand your complaint. Your daughter did not have ID. She didn't get served so you obviously weren't going to buy a drink for yourself whilst she waited outside, hence they wouldn't serve you. It's A-Level results now - many youths out trying it on - 'it's my A-levels results night out' etc.

That's the most salient observation, the OP was out with their daughter celebrating her A level results which by implication suggests they might not look 18, let alone 25 and in that case the licensee is entitled to err on the side of caution.

Do you really think my daughter would have become drunken?

Many drinkers do, but it isn't for the licensee to make that call and the consequences to one who serves an under age drinker, who then comes into difficulties due to drunkenness are very serious indeed.

Actually, I'm afraid this isn't true either, supermarkets are becoming ever more vigilant, in many cases overly zealous. I know of someone buying alcohol for herself at the Sainsbury's near the station, she had her 17 year old daughter shopping with her. They refused to sell the alcohol to her unless her daughter was over 18 and had ID to prove it, even though the wine was not for her daughter's consumption.

So if you have a baby with you it is assumed that the alcohol is for it's consumption. :loopy::loopy:

Beegee7

So if your daughter went out when she was underage came back drunk because the pub served older people she was with alcohol knowing it was for her consumption would you consider the pub had acted responsibly?

Beegee7

So if your daughter went out when she was underage came back drunk because the pub served older people she was with alcohol knowing it was for her consumption would you consider the pub had acted responsibly?

In this situaton I would say 4 parties had acted irresponsibly, the bar staff, the older people, myself as a parent and my daughter. If you read my original post, I never alledged that the barstaff acted wrongly. It is surprising how many posters here have mentioned drunken teenagers in response to challenge 25. Clearly challenge 25 has not been sucessful in stopping teenage drunkeness. There are many 18+ adults who can show ID and then become inebriated. Look at cheap shots deals etc. in many city centre pubs and watch the police, camera type programmes. Incidentally my daughter never went out underage and came back drunk, possibly because as parents we encourage her to behave responsibly and we always knew where she was and set sensible limits, which she was happy to adhere to.

The issue here was a rule, NOT a pub, NOT the barstaff, alienating a customer.

Many drinkers do, but it isn't for the licensee to make that call and the consequences to one who serves an under age drinker, who then comes into difficulties due to drunkenness are very serious indeed.

Slight hypocrisy here. Lets be tough on underage because we might get fined. Not our call on how drunk customers become, so no responsibility as retailers here?

That's the most salient observation, the OP was out with their daughter celebrating her A level results which by implication suggests they might not look 18, let alone 25 and in that case the licensee is entitled to err on the side of caution.

And they did err, and they were right to. Not a problem.

I'm guessing my wife and I would not be refused with my daughter present 99.99% of times.

Archived