Red Arrows pilot dies in crash after display

In 1954 I was a young sailor doing training at the Naval Air Electrical School at Worrthy Down near Winchester. I was hitching into town when I was picked up by a Jaguar XK. The driver was Mike Hawthorn on his way to Southampton. He asked me if I wanted to go there. I told him I was sorry because my girl friend was in Winchester. He was a nice guy.

You met him? :shocked: Wasn't it that very XK that he died in?

As an armorer, his responsibility was for the ejectors seat pistols.

As an Armourer one of his responsibilities would have been for the entire Escape system, that being the Ejection seat and the MDC explosive that effectively cuts up the canopy amongst other bits.. :)

Quite ironic that ejection seats being something intended to save life are one of the most dangerous things on a modern military aircraft.

A sad loss for the number 1 ambassadors of the Royal Air Force, and the UK as a whole. :(

As an Armourer one of his responsibilities would have been for the entire Escape system, that being the Ejection seat and the MDC explosive that effectively cuts up the canopy amongst other bits.. :)

Quite ironic that ejection seats being something intended to save life are one of the most dangerous things on a modern military aircraft.

A sad loss for the number 1 ambassadors of the Royal Air Force, and the UK as a whole. :(

I kind of isolated the pistol as the most dangerous part of the whole thing. I frequently took a ride in a sea venom, and always felt vulnerable when the pin was taken out.

I've found a video of the crash.

The turn wasn't very tight and there were no other aircraft close enough to be any risk to the downed pilot.

It's unlikely such an experienced aviator would crash in that manner without mechanical fault in his aeroplane.

The more reports I read, the more it sounds like he risked himself to make sure his Hawk came down as safely as possible.

RIP

http://www.1video.com/upvideo_video.aspx?vid=o_rAoyDTSkea1xIyUmWglw&moPage=1&sr=0

I'm both angry and shocked to see some posters on other forums actually applauding this brave man's demise.

What sort of sick idiot could do that sort of stuff?

I'm not surprised that you find it abhorrent; but I'm surprised that you find it surprising. There are trolls everywhere, and some people will take any opportunity, however tenuous, to attack the British armed forces.

Thankfully, it doesn't happen here much, and even when it does the moderators are quick to stamp on it.

Archived