Red Arrows pilot dies in crash after display

I've found a video of the crash.

The turn wasn't very tight and there were no other aircraft close enough to be any risk to the downed pilot.

It's unlikely such an experienced aviator would crash in that manner without mechanical fault in his aeroplane.

The more reports I read, the more it sounds like he risked himself to make sure his Hawk came down as safely as possible.

RIP

http://www.1video.com/upvideo_video.aspx?vid=o_rAoyDTSkea1xIyUmWglw&moPage=1&sr=0

I know one or two whom spring to mind

I've found a video of the crash.

The turn wasn't very tight and there were no other aircraft close enough to be any risk to the downed pilot.

It's unlikely such an experienced aviator would crash in that manner without mechanical fault in his aeroplane.

The more reports I read, the more it sounds like he risked himself to make sure his Hawk came down as safely as possible.

RIP

http://www.1video.com/upvideo_video.aspx?vid=o_rAoyDTSkea1xIyUmWglw&moPage=1&sr=0

I saw the Red Arrows just a few weeks back in Margate...I look forward to this event every year and for this to happen is such a tragedy.

There is another alternative to the mechanical fault theory....you say that the turn was tight....which pulls g-force....and also there is plenty of g and negative g force within the display itself.

There are many side effects to all this g-force...the pressures on the bodies....with g-force making the blood go towards the feet and thus create a blackout....with negative g-force the blood goes into the head creating a redout....but in this case the pilot might have had a g-loc from the tight turn.....g-loss of consciousness......more often this is momentary and at high altitude a pilot can make a recovery.....however at low altitude...a couple of hundred feet or so...the second or so of g-loc can mean a fatality.

I saw the Red Arrows just a few weeks back in Margate...I look forward to this event every year and for this to happen is such a tragedy.

There is another alternative to the mechanical fault theory....you say that the turn was tight....which pulls g-force....and also there is plenty of g and negative g force within the display itself.

There are many side effects to all this g-force...the pressures on the bodies....with g-force making the blood go towards the feet and thus create a blackout....with negative g-force the blood goes into the head creating a redout....but in this case the pilot might have had a g-loc from the tight turn.....g-loss of consciousness......more often this is momentary and at high altitude a pilot can make a recovery.....however at low altitude...a couple of hundred feet or so...the second or so of g-loc can mean a fatality.

The pilot would have known his limits, he wouldn't have pushed himself beyond them.

'G-LOC' is a very rare occurrence these days, due to improvements in seat design, cabin pressures and 'anti-G' suits.

The pilot would have to be pushing the aircraft way beyond it's standard operating limitations, which on the Hawk is pretty high IIRC is +7.5G/-4G safe limitation, and +9G for airframe overstress.

So unless there was some latent medical condition, he would have had to be pulling G's in excess of these figures for sustained periods for G-LOC to be a likely factor. Viewing the video that final turn certainly looks to be an unlikely cause of such high forces.

They'll know pretty quickly however if the G limits were a factor.

Dreadful news indeed, the loss of a highly talented individual whose demise was most likely due to staying too long at the controls to take the aircraft away from habitation and not leaving enough time to eject.

That is of course speculation, but very likely.

Viewing the video that final turn certainly looks to be an unlikely cause of such high forces.

They'll know pretty quickly however if the G limits were a factor.

I think it's unlikely as at least three aircraft carried out a similar turn at the same time. A medical condition could be a factor as could mechanic fault.

I'd be surprised if it was pilot error but it can't be ruled out yet.

Was very moving on the beach yesterday as everyone came together to pay their respects...http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/jon_egging/9207833.Tribute_paid_to_Jon_Egging_on_final_day_of_Air_Festival/?ref=mr

Was very moving on the beach yesterday as everyone came together to pay their respects...http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/jon_egging/9207833.Tribute_paid_to_Jon_Egging_on_final_day_of_Air_Festival/?ref=mr

Nice to see that, there a decent bunch of people down there, nice place aswell.

Archived