Is £10 an hour reasonable payment for gardening work?

It depends on the gardeners curcumstances. If it is a retired or unemployed person doing it for 'spending money' and its only an hour or two then yes. If it is a person with a van and their own equipment then no, £15ph at least.

Angel. Wants to give them barely a gallon of petrol, unless they live next door it wouldn’t even be worth them turning up. :hihi:

Minimum wage I would want to pay, after all it's only a labouring job, not brain surgery.

Regards

Angel.

Inn which case you will find you get minimal work of real quality;I expect you get more than minimum wage although I suspect you are no brain surgeon,more like a brown sturgeon.

Inn which case you will find you get minimal work of real quality;I expect you get more than minimum wage although I suspect you are no brain surgeon,more like a brown sturgeon.

No, retired I am happy to say. My gardener is one of my neighbours, he's 83 years young and is a keen gardener. He actualy does it for NOWT, and is brilliant at what he does. Best neighbour ever, and a nice bloke as well. Chuffed to say the council does the large back gardens, so it's a win win situation for me.

I can't see the council paying their staff a £10 per hour either.

Regards

Angel.

They may not pay £10 per hour but it will cost them at least £10ph to employ them. Basic wage plus h&s clothing, holiday pay, sick pay, employers NI, equipment and van.

I have a village idiot do my weeding twice a year. I pay him £20 a time at it takes him between 1 and 2 hours. He is gratefull and so am I.

£10 per hour? Depends how good they are and how much of a nice job you want doing.

But I personally don't think this is silly.

My hair dresser gets a higher 'hourly' rate, and they don't have to lug around heavy equipment.

Poppins is likely to faint when she reads this, ask them to have a butchers at their tackle. Old mucky power tools, no wheel barrow, no ladders etc; forget them. My guy has brand new stuff and even has a green bag bin, so that he can throw the stuff in. He cuts a 60 foot long x 7 feet high conifer hedge for £30.00 (3 hours work).

The minimum wage guys generally want to use your tools and take ages doing a crap job.

Archived