Sheffield steel helmet makers

GRANVILLE

Hadfields and Frith were the most active of Sheffield steelmakers and between them they turned out hundreds of thousands of Brodie steel helmets in particular during WW1. Is there anyone out there who can explain exactly what the stampings found underneath the rims of these helmets actually mean? Most seem to presume they are some sort of batch numbering. For example, Hadfields are recognised as a HS followed by a number, eg HS 28.

Is is right to assume that HS 15 will have been made before HS 28, or is it as has recently been suggested not a batch number at all but rather a furnace burning number?

If any ex steelmen can explain and ideally back up with some 'facts and figures', it would be appreciated.

Not got a steel helmet though there have been times when I could have done with one.

Just a query really, Was the first world war helmet the same design as the second world war one ?

There are subtle differences between the two periods which become fairly obvious once you know what to look for. Without boring for England, the earlier Brodie (so named after its designer) from WW1 has a slightly deeper pressing, so the dome stands very slightly taller, but more distinctly the brim is quite different. It is noticeably wider at the sides than that of WW2 vintage. The bales (as they are known) which hold the chin strap in place are always held onto the brim by split rivets on the WW1 version, whereas by WW2 they are hard riveted on. The liners are very different. I could go on, but won't, however I can't resist reproducing the below which I came across on the Net some time ago. I believe it was a serious Q & A site??

Could I use a Brodie helmet as a crash hat?

As the weather's getting better, I was to start cycling everywhere again, but I dread the thought of getting my bicycle helmet on!

Do you think it would be possible to use an old Brodie helmet or other tin helmet as a replacement for a cycle helmet? Would it give the same amount of protection?

Best Answer -

No. A Brodie Helmet is designed to protect the head and neck from low-velocity shrapnel. It is not designed to protect against falls from a bicycle. A Brodie's chinstrap and liner are not designed to keep the helmet secure during a fall - or even during movement (the helmet tends to wobble back and forth). Also, the padding of a Brodie is not designed to cushion the skull or reduce acceleration during an impact. In terms of design, the brim might even impede forward vision and would even tend to INCREASE rotational forces during an impact.

In short, a Brodie helmet would be completely useless as a bicycle helmet. You can use it, but don't expect it to help in a crash.

Source(s):

I'm a keen cyclist and I also own a few WW1 Brodie helmets. I've worn them, I've researched the helmet extensively and I've manufactured reproduction liners for them.

Archived