Today's news - is Tunisia still safe for a holiday??

Me and the wife came back from Hammamet about a month ago (honeymoon) and we loved it.

The place is a bit scruffy when you leave the resort, and their regard for animals is barbaric, but where we stayed we felt no danger whatsoever.

There was one scary moment though, we were on a coach trip to the sahara (worth going on just for the Star Wars set) and just before we got to the desert, surrounded in all directions as far as we could see by sand, there was a group of traditionally dressed arabs, with faces covered, blocking the road.

They were holding signs in Arabic and in French, so the English on board had no idea what was going on. It was a bit of a worry tbh. We kinda knew we weren't in too much danger when two of the men came on board with bottles of cold water and handed them out to the passangers, appologising for making us wait

It turned out that they were protesting in the hopes of getting the company who ran the excursion to visit their market as they have no other source of income.

We went expecting a country with loads of troubles but we were surprised to find a country who had just shed it's troubles and was looking timidly forward to a free future. The right to protest is a new thing to them and as the police arrived I kinda felt sorry for the protesters, most of them were on the secret police mentality and instinctively ran off. The police were fine and the situation was resolved diplomatically.

One of the locals joked with us about their former president being on holiday in Saudia Arabia, and instantly said he would have been arrested for having the mick out of the authorities before January.

I have often wondered why people go back on holiday to the same destination, buy I would most deffinately go back to Les Orangers in Hammamet, the hotel was quite good, the grub (all inc) was just fantastic, and the beach is the best I've ever seen, for all but 2 days the sea was as calm as a pond, almost body temperature, and crystal clear.

I envy you, I wish I was going back, and I would say that you shouldn't let worry spoil it for you, after you've been there for five mins you'll realise that you were worried for nowt.

Thanks for that, I really appreciate it.

The thing is, how will today's news change things? I mean, what will the place be like this time next year?

Archived