Will you pop to the Church for some fags, vodka and lottery tickets?

Will you pop to the shop for some fags, vodka and lottery tickets?

You can even buy a lottery ticket at the former Methodist church where religious services have been replaced by services of a more commercial nature since it became a Tesco supermarket.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028609/Tescos-pennies-heaven-church-supermarket.html#ixzz1Vknb10tU

As demonstrated by the rioters, Tesco's customers and TESCO itself.

Consumerism has replaced religion.

The building looks beautiful now and they’ve really cleaned it up, but it’s just a shame it’s Tesco.

A company taking a disused building, cleaning it up, putting it to use and potentially attracting folk to the area. Dreadful.

A company taking a disused building [...] Dreadful.

It is the juxtaposition between the two things that I find sad, not Tesco's use of the building per se. There is a lovely Tudor house on the way to Matlock that is a Sainsburys and that gives me the same feeling.

It is the juxtaposition between the two things that I find sad, not Tesco's use of the building per se. There is a lovely Tudor house on the way to Matlock that is a Sainsburys and that gives me the same feeling.

Would you prefer Waitrose? ;)

I do see your point. But I think it diminishes the clash if commercial use allows a disused building to regain and retain at least some of its former glory, rather than sink further into abandoned and abused dereliction.

Will you pop to the shop for some fags, vodka and lottery tickets?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028609/Tescos-pennies-heaven-church-supermarket.html#ixzz1Vknb10tU

As demonstrated by the rioters, Tesco's customers and TESCO itself.

Consumerism has replaced religion.

Walkabout on West st is a old Methodist church - but there is also a old pub near the industrial units of Effingham Rd that is now a mosque... Without remembering the fact the the old Roxy was a church for donkeys years before it returned to it's original use... Methodists have been busy selling their properties for years, and they'll flog to anyone! You'd think selling to places that need a license to serve alcohol would put Methodists off, but it really doesn't seem to! Not forgetting that they were rough and ready with samaritans and nomad in Sheffield when they wanted them out of their rents a few years back, so that the building behind walkabout could be used for luxury flats rather than being rented to charities...

Shame to see a former church becoming a lowly supermarket. Far better to convert it to an alternative religious/cultural/community/educational use; many old churches here in Sheffield have been thus rehabilitated, such as St. George's by the University...

Archived