Karate at Hillsborough Leisure Center - Any good for children?

I have heard from a couple of people that this isn't the best place for a younger child to attend as it's one class for all ages, including adults, and abilities. Does anyone actually attend the class and can give me some idea of what it is like or have a better suggestion of a more appropriate class?

Thanks.

I have heard from a couple of people that this isn't the best place for a younger child to attend as it's one class for all ages, including adults, and abilities. Does anyone actually attend the class and can give me some idea of what it is like or have a better suggestion of a more appropriate class?

Thanks.

Don't know this class in particular but other classes I have seen do tend to put kids and adults together.

Martial arts is all about the money, and instead of paying for 2 hours hall hire the group will always pay for one hour and combine classes. At HLC it may be an issue with hall availability.

It pains me to say this as I've trained under Barry Nash, who takes the lessons at Hillsborough LC for a number of years, but despite the fact he is CRB cleared, he's not a good teacher for young kids, I've seen him make 6 year olds cry when he's shouting at them for doing stuff wrong, and then he just says "what you crying for?" :(

It pains me to say this as I've trained under Barry Nash, who takes the lessons at Hillsborough LC for a number of years, but despite the fact he is CRB cleared, he's not a good teacher for young kids, I've seen him make 6 year olds cry when he's shouting at them for doing stuff wrong, and then he just says "what you crying for?" :(

Ah, so he is still there then? Looks like I'll go elsewhere. My son attended his 'classes' and within his first couple of lessons he was made to stand at the side and watch because he had never done it before and couldn't join in. They still wanted me to pay for it!

Thank you for the other suggestions, I'll look into those instead.

Ah, so he is still there then? Looks like I'll go elsewhere. My son attended his 'classes' and within his first couple of lessons he was made to stand at the side and watch because he had never done it before and couldn't join in. They still wanted me to pay for it!

Thats nice of them.... everyone including the so called masters had to start at the beggining....

Sounds like a rip off!!! charging people to watch???? :confused:

From my experience I found Goju-Ryu a very good form of karate and varied and this is the website

http://www.hallamdojo.co.uk/

I believe that one of their instructors Terry coaches a childrens session in the Woodhouse area of Sheffield so contact them via the website and find out more.

Also, for people in the North of Sheffield there is also this venue to train karate at wwwchapeltownkarateclub.co.uk one or two of my class members have trained here, or have children trained there and the feedback has been they really enjoyed the training.

I do think that for very small children (aged around 6 or 7) paitience and the ability to instill confidence is the absolute key. If an instructor can do that at the very early stages, then it bodes well for future development.

There are many options to train and you certainly do not want to have a child crying in the sessions. If that happens, you need to take your custom to a karate club where this does not happen, and there are plenty of karate clubs for people to choose from.

Without a doubt the best karate club for kids is based at the church at the top of Carlton Road, Hillsborough (Sheffield Shotokan Karate Club)

Its on saturdays at 1pm - 2.30pm and its only £5.00

My son attends this class and he thinks great

Bob Hague is a top bloke, very knowlegable and a very good instructor - try it out, you will not be disappointed.

Archived